Thread: SB9 solid tool post

Default SB9 solid tool post

Hello

I have a 1951 South Bend that is in reasonable shape. When I am cutting, the compound and cross slide tend to rock. I have tightened the gibs to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas? I have thought about removing the compound and replacing it with a toolpost. Are there any plans and thoughts out there for such a beast?

Quote Originally Posted by gweloboy View Post
    Hello

I have a 1951 South Bend that is in reasonable shape. When I am cutting, the compound and cross slide tend to rock. I have tightened the gibs to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas? I have thought about removing the compound and replacing it with a toolpost. Are there any plans and thoughts out there for such a beast?
    That sounds odd. Have you used dial indicators to verify the location of the movement? Is it possible that the saddle is loose and lifting just a little? 1/100 inch movement at the far side of the saddle may translate to 5 times that at the tool.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Is the compound moving relative to the cross slide?
    If so, maybe you can put some bearing blue on the compound and make sure the set screws ( at rear)
    are pulling the compound down evenly and firmly all around:
    User a thinner coat of blue than I did:
    https://app.box.com/s/cd1c9r8yucew40soh4e4rfhoj8ucsmvy

Default Gibraltar toolpost

Back in the day such a thing was called a 'Gibraltar' toolpost with obvious connotations. There are designs in in Model Engineer. just pop the word in here.
    googls images finds some examples too.
    Last edited by Baz; 07-15-2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: extra information

Before you spend time on that, do check the saddle itself.

It is very common for the saddle to wear so that it either rocks, or, more often, can twist somewhat relative to the ways. Either can seem very much as if the crosslide is rocking.

Of course the crosslide COULD be rocking, it wears also, and is moved a good bit, making wear credible. A worn compound is less usual.

Obviously, wear induced movement of the saddle is not going to be affected by the solid toolpost.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

The July/August 2017 issue of the Home Shop Machinist has an article titled "Say Goodbye to the Compound".
    I don't know how easily it could be adapted to a South Bend lathe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Jim

I have been by co-opted by 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' onto projects outside of the workshop. I did go and look at things. The bed is worn near to the headstock. The resistance to movement increases the further away the saddle is to the headstock. As soon as I get a chance to replicate the issue I will report back. Thanks for the input.