Thread: First chips with the Schaublin 102

Default First chips with the Schaublin 102

Anyone who listens to the podcast knows that I've been working on a Schaublin 102-80 that I picked up awhile ago.

I finally managed to get it up and running. I made a montage style video of the work I did to get it going. Most of the work focused around the drive itself. I did also give the lathe a good cleaning.

After using it for a bit I'm super happy with it. I was concerned about the shape of the spindle bearings running at speed because when I bought the lathe I could just spin the spindle by hand, but they seem to be very good. An interesting note: this lathe has air-oil lubricated bearings from factory.

Still on the lookout for more tooling. I have a fair number of W25 collets for it and I picked up a nice Buck 4" 6 jaw that requires a backing plate.

Here is video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ0YZ5XCN7c

Next up is a Metal Lathe Accessories inspired scaled down toolpost:

Very nice, enjoyed the video. There is a special satisfaction in bringing a machine back to working order. What were the typical uses of the Schaublin? From what I know they were high end somewhat like a small Hardinge...?

You went a little crazy setting up the parting tool, just bring the tool up against the chuck face and tighten it up, thats good enough.

well done, nothing nicer that a Schaublin. I'm into the 70s, little brother to yours. I'd suggest getting some gunsmiths screw drivers.....carpenters style can make a mess of slotted machine screws and you want that lathe to be as pristine as possible

Thanks everyone!

You are right Mcgyver - I need to get a set of those screw drivers. I've been wanting a set for awhile. Need to pick them up or make a set .

Here is an animated gif showing the depth of cut once I got this thing going (if you don't want to watch the entire video):

Last edited by enginuity; 07-16-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Regarding screwdrivers, when I started in gunsmithing school, I was told to get Craftsman or Snap-On drivers and learned to alter them for thickness, width and parallelism at the tips by grinding on a 1" wide belt sander with the top wheel's guard removed. You want the tip of the driver to closely fit the slot and the side edges to be radius-cut so that you don't mar the counterbore or countersink at the edges. I still have some 40+ year old drivers that are a "little" shorter than when I bought them!
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Now thats what I call a nice Mini Lathe!

Nice job. Looks like a great little lathe you've rescued.

Great video as always, Justin, and welcome to the plain turning lathe club!

I've got a bad case of Schaublin-envy, haha.