Thread: Walker Repair help

Default Walker Repair help

Hello All.Help needed.- I posted this on Practical Machinist too

A friend of ours had knees replaced and has never recovered. She walks with this walker but also sits in it because it sits higher making it easier to stand compared to a wheelchair. The frame is aluminium. The casters are on a steel pin which is threaded(1/2) into the frame. The extra weight and movement opened the threads on the frame. Some other bloke drilled the tube and pin and put in a bolt to at least stop it dropping out. It is now floppy again and I have volunteered to help.

My Plan:
    Drill out the thread in the tube
    Make a new swivel pin from hex bar.
    Instead of threading, make it tight enough to stay put but not too tight I can't get it out if I have to!

Problems: The added holding bolt holes are off centre but are threaded. Would a thin coat of epoxy or loktite help in holding the swivel pin in place but still allow to pull it out after turning the shaft with a spanner to break the joint? I am not sure how tight to make the fit.

I am going to make the new holes as close to as possible. I will be honest I do not know how oversize to make the spindles. I want them to hold but I would like to be able to put a rod with a sliding bush to pull it out if necessary.I do not have a press so I will probably tap the spindle in with a hammer handle.

Your help is appreciated.

I am working at home with a 9"SB, a mini mill and a drill press

I am not at picture posting level

It's important to look at how the walker is used. The original wheels are probably mounted on a threaded rod to ensure that they are never knocked loose when the wheel hits something while the walker is lifted. An older person is likely to fall if one of the casters falls out.

The best bet is to bore out the hole in the frame and make a threaded bushing to fit it. Secure it with loktite. Use a lock nut, loktite or a cross drilled hole and pin to keep the caster from coming loose again.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

That is what I am doing - thanks

I fixed the walker and it is back in action. the owner is very pleased.

I love it when a plan comes together. Thanks for reporting back.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)