Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about automatic transmission fluid please.

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    No, rotary as in rotary vehicle hoist.

Oh, That is a brand name. Thanks!

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri in the USA)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlByrns View Post
    Jerry, the valve that controls boost is in the rack. The pump supplies constant pressure (open center) to the rack and on a Audi, usually the brake booster. Not something to dork around with.
    OK, that makes a difference, obviously. Especially if it is the same system cross-connected to the brakes. (which seems bad and non-redundant). (Crossing Audi off my list of acceptable cars.....)

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    OK, that makes a difference, obviously. Especially if it is the same system cross-connected to the brakes. (which seems bad and non-redundant). (Crossing Audi off my list of acceptable cars.....)
    Audi has not use the Power Steering supplied accumulator for the power brakes since the 90's

Even then it was a completely split fluid system with pressure from the PS doing the job now most often done by engine vacuum. As an accommodation for turbo charged engines, where there is no easilt tapped working vacuum, the system performed quite well in service.

Quote Originally Posted by CalM View Post
    Audi has not use the Power Steering supplied accumulator for the power brakes since the 90's
    It's the old ones I like.

All newer cars look pretty much the same to me, unless they are really UGLY, and a number of them are (big fishmouth on the front for instance). Likely not surprising, since they all deal with the same airflow issues.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Davis used ATF as a hydraulic fluid in their line of self- propelled trenchers from the '70s, including in the hydrostatic drive.
    Trying to find 10 gallons of Type F in anything but quarts is a surprising challenge these days.
    I eventually converted the rear hydraulics to actual hydraulic fluid (the thinnest commonly available in the local
    ag supply seems to work best) so that I could use implements with it without contaminating
    the fluid in their cylinders.

There, an alternative use. My car uses it as power steering fluid. I try not getting it on my hands.

t
    rusting in Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Oh, you should see the Le Hydraulique systems on older Citroens. Power steering pump pressurizes also brakes and suspension, first goes your power steering, after that your front brakes, and after that your rear suspension drops to ground and you lose also rear brakes totally
    And when I say NO brakes at all it means it, pedal has absolutely zero effect.

But hat off to rear suspension/brake system ingenuity: rear brake pressure comes from rear suspension pressure accumulators. More load you put on the car the more power you have on rear brakes. Also your rear drops down a bit when you press on brake pedal

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Oh, you should see the Le Hydraulique systems on older Citroens. Power steering pump pressurizes also brakes and suspension, first goes your power steering, after that your front brakes, and after that your rear suspension drops to ground and you lose also rear brakes totally
    And when I say NO brakes at all it means it, pedal has absolutely zero effect.

But hat off to rear suspension/brake system ingenuity: rear brake pressure comes from rear suspension pressure accumulators. More load you put on the car the more power you have on rear brakes. Also your rear drops down a bit when you press on brake pedal
    Those were fine and fun automobiles DS 19? If not rusted, I would have one today.

But the 2cv has both my heart and soul.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlByrns View Post
    No, you are being reckless. You have admitted that the car has a major safety issue (loss of boost while turning), a qualified diagnosis (the dealership says the rack needs to be replaced), and that you have poured non-spec fluids -including solvent- into the system, apparently hoping for a miracle cure.

Life can be pretty lousy when you're hospitalized.
    Life can be pretty lousy when an insurance company sues your socks off.
    Jeesem Crow

Here it is September, and no one has died, and the steering is working "better than ever".

But, With the cool weather, The Pentosin fluid is scheduled to replace the ATF any day now.

Go figure.... The factory must be cringing with the thought.

Thought DS19 was cool. Still do. Would not own one, too much trouble.

Would own a 2CV, Especially the delivery van type. But a regular one would be OK too.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by CalM View Post
    Those were fine and fun automobiles DS 19? If not rusted, I would have one today.

But the 2cv has both my heart and soul.
    Ayw Yesss! I had two different ID19s the first a regular sedan the second a "Break" (station wagon ) back in the early 60s . Only trouble I ever had
    with the hydraulics was one of the rear banjo to the swing arm broke and I had to get home from Watkins Glenn without using the breaks to central
    PA. :-) Made it ok though. Great cars. picked up the break in France and drove it around part of Europe for a bit, had it shipped home. Picked it up
    in New Jersey and the seat belts had been stolen from it. Great remembering.
    ...lew...