Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: off topic?

Default off topic?

in the nineties like most people we bought a few good quality stacked stereo systems complete with the large glass fronted cabinets for my sons to use in their bedrooms when they were teenager. They to be honest were although expensive hardly ever used and have lain for most of that time peacefully earning no awards but no county court judgements either just quietly minding their own business. Now we are doing a completely new kitchen no cabinets etc new way of doing things, Bron suddenly gets the urge to clear all the clutter as she calls it, and either throw it out in the town dumpster depot or call for a charity shop to call collect. They are immaculate Marantz and pioneer units. One of them I bought myself it cost me around 2 k at the time without speakers. Bron swears you get nothing but hassle on the net for them and it is more trouble at our age than any money received. Surely this is all wrong. After all surely Big al has got to be right sometime I said I would think about it then forgot about it so today I said no although space is a premium I want to keep them even for shop use. It is like all my photography stuff, I spent over many years building up a top notch camera out fit with computer built ins inc power feeder winder and a mass of lenses including a large mirror lense all Marantz 9000 outfit and goodness knows what that was around 3.5 k then of course that is with all my developing stuff things I enjoyed when I was younger, but now don't have the time. none of it is modern computer stuff all for developing It will come back I AM TELLING YOU ALL booh ,hooh ,no it won't ! or will it? err no .Alistair oh well at least I kept Bron ! 14th august next Monday it will be forty six years. I married when I just turned twenty we have been together since I was nineteen I believe you get less these days for murder. Just kidding, I am just as much in love with her as ever perhaps even more.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I admire your tenacity. I had two wives. (Not at the same time) One for 5 years and one for 13 years. I've now been single longer than both combined. I don't think I could do it again even though they say the third time is the charm. Which brings me to another question. How long are we branded with the descriptor of "Divorced"? It seems after a period of time, we should be able to go back to "Single".

I sort of lost the theme halfway through, but old stereo components can have a new life (they are sought after).

Get a high end sound card, not the best buy crap but something like M Audio. With really good speakers, free music bee or foobar software (the best players), out to the components, the computer becomes an amazing juke box, can't be beat. In our house, its kids yelling at Dad to turn it down.

The're yours so keep them. What's the problem? She has her pots, pans & other things & you don't decide to toss them do you?
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

I love my Onkyo system and used it till something went funny and it doesn't work as well any more. I would like to have a big pounding system in the shop to annoy the neighbors as I annoy the neighbors with my loud machines, hammering, and welding.
    Andy

I have enjoyed good stereo music I'm my shop for many years. Christine and I celebrated 60 years in March. She has her sewing room and I have my shop. We help each other out from time to time when a need arises.

I worked for Marantz back in the 70's, actually it was Sony Superscope back then, Superscope was the only Sony importer at the time and they had bought Marantz years before. This was back in the day when two speakers were enough and JBL was king of the speaker business. Several years ago I bought one of those glass front stereo systems, mine happens to be a Sony. It will still rattle the walls but those Marantz amps hold a special place in my heart. Would love to have a 2270 receiver even though I really have no need for it.

\\\\oops my camera system is Minolta 9000 thanks for comments. Al
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I have a 70s vintage Marantz receiver sitting in my dad's basement. Do they really get that much money for them? Thinking I may have to haul it home and dust it off.
    George