Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: off topic?

Quote Originally Posted by flylo View Post
    The're yours so keep them. What's the problem? She has her pots, pans & other things & you don't decide to toss them do you?
    I'm sure when he says "you get to keep your pots and pans" it will go over real well. Just like when you buy your wife a new vacuum cleaner for her birthday.

I use old stereo stuff all the time, its the only good stuff for a decent price. I have 3 sets of big ol' speakers, the youngest is 30 years old. My receiver is younger as the old one gave up after 20, only about 10 years old, but it was found on the side of the road not a year after manufacture, presumably due to one of five input channels not working. Big whoop.

Also, I shoot an develop film still. Lots of fun. Gets neglected now as my latest hobby is perpetually cleaning my workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bulliss View Post
    I have a 70s vintage Marantz receiver sitting in my dad's basement. Do they really get that much money for them? Thinking I may have to haul it home and dust it off.
    Yep, Bought a 2245 at a swap meet when I was in California for almost nothing. It was pretty beat up and had one channel out. I drug it home and fixed it. Only speakers I had at the time were Radio Shack bookshelf speakers but even with cheap speakers that receiver sounded better than just about anything you could buy at the time. Sadly when I left California I was on a motor cycle and the Marantz stayed with my daughter. Never heard what she did with it and have been afraid to ask.

Even very good stack systems of that era go for peanuts, I bought a nice Akai system for my wife to replace her Sony when it failed, the full Akai system, plus CD Recorder, plus Linn Index speakers cost me about 150.

Some good quality separates still fetch reasonable money.

That was a fun read, if not a lil whacky ( I had to squint and turn sideways then got it).

My Bron (Bronwyn) and I have only been together for 26 years. It will go on till she says no more please.

My stereo stuff is not as nice as the Marantz stuff. Mainly cause I am not as old as you crusty guys My stuff came from my days in the Navy and in Japan. Bought some Yamaha equipment. mx-1000, cx-1000 and associated goodies. I still have all of it and enjoy the music. I use an audio control active cross over to route the signals through the three amps then to the drivers.

I did get into buying carver stuff in the 90s and as crude as they are I think they will always have a place in my stereo cabinet.

Well Al, you wont be able to buy that equipment again. Or find a woman like Bron again. So yeah, you are a lucky man. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

When I saw Sansui gear in the '80s, I would ask "who is the electronics tech?"

e-techs bought Sansui because we spotted the quality, and wanted something we would need to work on all the time.

She has her pots, pans & other things & you don't decide to toss them do you?
    OH Matt is that not just a teensie weensie bit chauvinistic her pots and pans he WOW lucky woman wait doesn't she cook your dinner in them and then clean them sounds more like hard work than a woman living in the lap of luxury. lol you'll be telling us she also has store bought toilet paper as opposed to wartime newspaper useage wwwow so lucky .Just having a laugh pal I know you really love her. It's like the hoards of criticism I received when I sent My Bron up on the roof to fix our tv Ariel as soon as she got the picture perfect I sat down to watch a great and exciting weekend of the bagpipe races. I simply forgot she was there I did hear the ladders fall down in a hurricane gale which blew up and could not hear her screams it was three days.Well I didn't look out to see it was snowing. I was so engrossed in the finals the years latest kilt patching making finals. She got over it when the frostbite cleared up. Some people never stop complaining for one minute, so I understand you brother. I made it up to Bron too after a few weeks when she got out of hospital I bought her, her very own sock darning set hardly used. It actually feels good to remember that one act of human kindness. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

JROUCHE I didn't know you owned a Bronwyn too well done sir you got a bargain there. lol All kidding aside the truth is I met Bron MY Bron that is in 1970, she had invited us my pal and me to a church coffee meeting we didn't go she was with another guy and I thought they were a couple. handing out the leaflets with her neighbour. They were both handing out the leaflets and talking to people about God. we talked for about an hour and parted,. About six months later my pal who is Jewish he is still my best pal today, sat down on a park bench and sitting there were some of those leaflets once again inviting people to another coffee evening .I was that evening and I persuaded Irving my pal to go even if only for a free coffee and a few biscuits. I had for gotten all about that lovely girl, but she had not forgotten me she worked out where I lived and told me much later she used to walk alone were I lived in Essen Woodford Green in London's outskirts. Whilst drinking the coffee a voice shouted out from the back of the room OH ALISTAIR YOU LOOKS MUCH BETTER WITH YOUR HAIR CUT I had long hair before, We talked and she was telling me about her twin brother who was in hospital after having a heart attack aged 23 I was just nineteen. and didn't want to tell her in case she thought I was too young for her. Anyway she invited me over to her house she rented in London and the next night I went over and we talked virtually all night long that repeated for three nights anyway by the third nigh and I can't explain it although I had been with quite a few girls before I just new she was the one for me and that night I asked her to marry me. I can't explain it but I just absolutely new she was perfect for me. Anyway next year about eight months later on august the fourteenth we were married 1971 and tomorrow we are 46 years married 47 years together almost. My friend Irvy told me I was crazy after knowing her for less than four days but here we are three sons later as much in love as ever. I absolutely adore her and worship the ground she walks on. Even many of my friends now divorced including Irvy they tall me she is unique and non of them have ever met anyone so nice before she is truly an angel. Al
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease