Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OT: What a deal ... NOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    If you want the best lawn tractor ever built then you want a yellow one. As in an old Cub Cadet.
    The older ones were made by IH, and highly regarded, but still lacking in features offered by the JD140. I grew up with a 140, now have my own that deserves a full restoration to look brand new. I too like the IH Cub Cadets, as they all had K series Kohlers.

Quote Originally Posted by pgmrdan View Post
    (I see that you joined this forum in 2003. You're still a newbie so I'll cut you some slack.)

And my response is, "Because I wanted to."

If you don't want to read it don't go past the first post. It is marked OT so if you didn't want to read it it's your own fault.

Of course you posted "Because I wanted to.". My question is why did you want to? It's not a particularly machining related item. Every day on my local CL I can find dozens of ads with ridiculously high prices. So, what was your point?

You posted a current CL ad with a link to the seller's phone number. Was that part of your intent?

Posting links to current CL ads seems pointless anyway since the link will only be active a very short while.

Over the years I've had a few garden tractors. My first and favorites were Bolens. I started with a 1958 Ride-A-Matic and mover to an Eliminator 1400. Both were eventually retired do to lack of parts availability. Now that the internet has come along there is greater parts availability than there was in the 1990's.

When parts became a problem I was advised by my wife to find something that wouldn't sit for weeks or months at a time while I was trying to find parts. I was also advised that this would be a once in a lifetime offering, so I should do my research and find something that would last. To that end I did an extended period of research that included over a dozen brands of tractors. I included most popular brands like Toro (Wheel Horse), Case, Ariens, Simplicity, Cub Cadet, Lawn Boy, John Deere, Ranch King, Troy Built(bought out Bolens), and several others.

I lined out all the possibilities on an Excel spread sheet and went to work. At the time JD was only considered because of it's reputation. I was sure they were way too expensive, and out of my league. I quickly found there wasn't nearly the price differential I was expecting when everything was taken into consideration. The machines that appeared less expensive at first blush quickly approached the price of the more expensive ones when the accessories I was looking for were added.

In the end I narrowed it down to 4 brands. I was still on the fence when I got a call from my brother with a question about replacement parts for his Simplicity machine. It got me to thinking about my situation with my previous machines so I called the local dealers asking for a common replacement for earlier models of the brands that made my final list. The only one that still had parts available for a 30+ year old machine was JD. Either the parts were no longer available, the dealers of the other brands hadn't been in business long enough to have the information, or they weren't willing to do the research.

The decision was made to purchase a JD445 AWS model. The machine was equipped with a Kawasaki twin cylinder water cooled fuel injected 22 hp engine, hydrostatic transmission, power All Wheel steering, front, center and rear hydraulics, foot controlled differential lock, 3 point hitch, cruise control, rear PTO, 42" mower (60" was standard, but I needed a smaller one to get between the trees). I also added left, right, and rear low mounted lights for late evening mowing, four way flashers, a "trailer socket" to power the lights on my trailer, and to power the raise/lower mechanism for my aerator. After a couple years I also added a rear scraper blade for landscaping and moving snow.

So far the machine seems to be a good investment. After 17 years it still mows grass, aerates the lawn, moves dirt, plows snow, and hauls anything that will fit in the trailer. The only maintenance so far has been regular engine and transmission oil changes and chassis lubrication. I did have to have one tire repaired after running over a nail (no idea where that happened), and replace the battery at 10 years old.

This has been the longest I've owned a machine without needing expensive repairs, or found replacement parts to no longer be available. I believe if I continue to take care of the machine it will in all probability be the last one I need to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by projectnut View Post
    Over the years I've had a few garden tractors. My first and favorites were Bolens. I started with a 1958 Ride-A-Matic and mover to an Eliminator 1400. Both were eventually retired do to lack of parts availability. Now that the internet has come along there is greater parts availability than there was in the 1990's.

When parts became a problem I was advised by my wife to find something that wouldn't sit for weeks or months at a time while I was trying to find parts. I was also advised that this would be a once in a lifetime offering, so I should do my research and find something that would last. To that end I did an extended period of research that included over a dozen brands of tractors. I included most popular brands like Toro (Wheel Horse), Case, Ariens, Simplicity, Cub Cadet, Lawn Boy, John Deere, Ranch King, Troy Built(bought out Bolens), and several others.

I lined out all the possibilities on an Excel spread sheet and went to work. At the time JD was only considered because of it's reputation. I was sure they were way too expensive, and out of my league. I quickly found there wasn't nearly the price differential I was expecting when everything was taken into consideration. The machines that appeared less expensive at first blush quickly approached the price of the more expensive ones when the accessories I was looking for were added.

In the end I narrowed it down to 4 brands. I was still on the fence when I got a call from my brother with a question about replacement parts for his Simplicity machine. It got me to thinking about my situation with my previous machines so I called the local dealers asking for a common replacement for earlier models of the brands that made my final list. The only one that still had parts available for a 30+ year old machine was JD. Either the parts were no longer available, the dealers of the other brands hadn't been in business long enough to have the information, or they weren't willing to do the research.

The decision was made to purchase a JD445 AWS model. The machine was equipped with a Kawasaki twin cylinder water cooled fuel injected 22 hp engine, hydrostatic transmission, power All Wheel steering, front, center and rear hydraulics, foot controlled differential lock, 3 point hitch, cruise control, rear PTO, 42" mower (60" was standard, but I needed a smaller one to get between the trees). I also added left, right, and rear low mounted lights for late evening mowing, four way flashers, a "trailer socket" to power the lights on my trailer, and to power the raise/lower mechanism for my aerator. After a couple years I also added a rear scraper blade for landscaping and moving snow.

So far the machine seems to be a good investment. After 17 years it still mows grass, aerates the lawn, moves dirt, plows snow, and hauls anything that will fit in the trailer. The only maintenance so far has been regular engine and transmission oil changes and chassis lubrication. I did have to have one tire repaired after running over a nail (no idea where that happened), and replace the battery at 10 years old.

This has been the longest I've owned a machine without needing expensive repairs, or found replacement parts to no longer be available. I believe if I continue to take care of the machine it will in all probability be the last one I need to purchase.
    You got one of the best garden tractors. I know first hand the JD140 is bullet proof from the torture we put it through, plowing snow with it. What people seem to forget is that these older JD's were made in the USA, and over built. Even the 214 in the OP's post is far superior to anything new for 3,000$ Granted, foot operated hydrostatic is the cats meow, the 200 series is still a solid tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was building a Cub Cadet Original and needed parts for the clutch throw out bearing. I stopped at my local dealer.....had them in stock. That was a few yrs ago(6-8) sadly the owner died and now the dealership is gone.
    I still have a 100, 126, 882, 149 with a loader, 2072 and mow and pick up leaves with a 125.