Thread: My new Lathe!

Default My new Lathe!

https://planlos-channel.tumblr.com/p...thbend-model-c

I hope this works. Anyways I got my South Bend Model C paid off.... he sold it to me for 500 bucks and let me do payments.... Anyways I am so PUMPED It came with a TON of accessories... Hope to start making videos on youtube for fun so be nice to me guys since I don't know anything about anything.... At least I am told so by my wife Anyways I am going to build a table to put it on what is the best height for a lathe? I saw somewhere that said the cross slide should be at elbow height? I live in the in Sutter Creek CA if any of you are close....
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Looks great ��
    If need more information on SB9 just let me know

Dave

Congrats on the new lathe! Concerning the accessories, as they say, "pics or it didn't happen"! We need to see what all you got! I do see what appears to be the micrometer carriage stop on the bed, a person can readily make one but the OEM stops are sure nice. I'm guessing you have at least a 3-jaw and 4-jaw chuck, plus maybe some collets, too? Live center and good drill chuck for the tailstock? Starting out with a pile of tooling definitely helps.

As far as the table or cabinet height, when I was setting up my shop here I put the cabinet tops at exactly 36". After I mounted the SB 10K on its cabinet, I stepped up to it and very nearly shed a tear of joy, as the height and setback were dead on for me. For reference, I'm 5' 11" in boots.

-Brian

Had one very much like that a number of years ago. Actually my father bought it used, he ran it for a lot of years, then she got kind of loose so he had the Babbitt in the head stock bearings replaced . It was passed on to me and I ran it for at least 10 more years then sold it to some fellows that rebuild antique vehicles and machinery. It was a strong machine for it's size and did a lot of work.
    Larry

Planlos,

Welcome.
    I have a SB9A and reworked it with help from the SB forum on the practical machinist site. There you have to be committed to the cause and I was during the rebuild, which was really just a cleaning and repaint job. I am not a machinist by trade but a HSM that likes to work with different tools and the SB has been a great machine for what Iv'e been able to do on it.
    As you get into using it, quite a few of the regulars here have or do use SB machines. Ask away if you need any help or don't know some particular thing about the machine. you will get the answer here when you do.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris
    Last edited by Mr Fixit; 08-11-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Miss spelled the OP name.

A very hearty congrats on the new toy. And while I hate to rain on your parade you KNOW that this is only the first step in a long line of purchases, right? (insert an "evilgrin" smilie here since HSM does not see fit to include one in their selections)

Seriously though, from what I read here on HSM and regional pricing I think you made out like a bandit just on the machine. And to get a boxcar load of extras with it is just rubbing our collective noses in the sweetness of your deal...

When I looked around for how high to make my own lathe I ran across a LOT of online recommendations for a height that I thought would be excessive. namely that the spindle should be up around 48 inches off the floor. After some rough trials and a "dry" setup using construction blocks I went with it because it felt darn close to ideal. It DID feel odd at first because I was used to far lower machine heights. But in the end I went with it and now my back and I could not be happier.

Now on a smaller machine like your SB9 I would worry about the apron controls being a trifle high to reach. But since there is only a 1.5" difference in the radii between our machines I suspect you would like to have your spindle axis height up around 45 to 46" off the floor... or off the floor MAT if you plan on putting down a mat of some sort in front of the machine for the cold winter days to keep your tender tootsies off the cold hard floor.

As for your wife I'm reminded of an old parable..... If a man walking in a forest says something and there's no woman around to hear him is he still wrong?..... and they wonder why I'm still single.....
    You
    Edited to add.... BrianH, DAYAM DUDE! ! ! ! That is one SWEET cabinet/bench for your SB ! ! ! ! You have managed to combine a good range of drawers with a design that reeks of stiffness and stability. That succeeds on a LOT of levels and is about one of the nicest ever wood based machine tool stands I've ever seen.
    Last edited by BCRider; 08-12-2017 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanlosChannel View Post
    https://planlos-channel.tumblr.com/p...thbend-model-c

I hope this works. Anyways I got my South Bend Model C paid off.... he sold it to me for 500 bucks and let me do payments.... Anyways I am so PUMPED It came with a TON of accessories... Hope to start making videos on youtube for fun so be nice to me guys since I don't know anything about anything.... At least I am told so by my wife Anyways I am going to build a table to put it on what is the best height for a lathe? I saw somewhere that said the cross slide should be at elbow height? I live in the in Sutter Creek CA if any of you are close....
    Congratulations, and welcome to the hobby!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

And so begins another journey, bet that lathe has seen a few, congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy the process, which it is, however long you've been at it there's always somthing new to learn.
    Mark