Thread: Carriage Stop ???

Default Carriage Stop ???

My big (big for me) lathe came with a micrometer adjustable carriage stop. Its awesome except for one thing. The dag-gone clamping bolt heads are on the bottom. Is that the norm for Chi-Com lathes and carriage stops?

Anyway... I actually have a use for a second carriage stop (reverse direction), and I've been debating modifying that one or just making one to replace it since I'll be making another one anyway.

Ideas?

Opinions?

Suggestions?

Nasty epitaph about my intelligence and ancestry? (I already know I'm ugly and my momma dresses me funny.)

A micrometer stop is dead simple to build. It's even easier on a big lathe where you have lots of room. The micrometer heads can be purchased from places like MSC, Shars, etc

The one I made clamps to the 90 degree V on the ways. No micrometer, but there is a 10 tpi screw that acts as an adjustable stop. Here's a few pictures.

To cut the 90 degree slot I simply mounted the block in my vice at a 45 degree angle and cut with a normal end mill.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

My 10K has a turret type stop (4 individually adjustable stop rods) with the clamp screw on the bottom. I agree it is a pain in the butt. Still, it hasn't been a big enough pain for me to design something more convenient.

I've got one of those micro carriage stops with the SHCS's on the bottom on my Chinese lathe. What a pain in the A$$s. These things must have been designed by very short people

I made two for the Smart & Brown model A using ordinary UNF threads. 7/16 & 1/2 UNF have 20tpi, so they have aluminium wheels loktited on engraved on the rotary table with 50 divisions. After the first one proved usable, I made the second narrower for the headstock end as the first was too long if using collets.
    The mill has had its X axis stops improved as well except it has 10mm x1mm pitch screws.

Replace bolt with spring loaded adjustable handle while you summon the courage to modify it with a top mounted handle.

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    A micrometer stop is dead simple to build. It's even easier on a big lathe where you have lots of room. The micrometer heads can be purchased from places like MSC, Shars, etc

The one I made clamps to the 90 degree V on the ways. No micrometer, but there is a 10 tpi screw that acts as an adjustable stop. Here's a few pictures.

To cut the 90 degree slot I simply mounted the block in my vice at a 45 degree angle and cut with a normal end mill.

Dan
    Is that a 31316 8.5x18? If so its in beautiful condition.

That's from 2006, shortly after I got the lathe. I cleaned it very well after each use back then.

It's a Sieg 7x12 model as sold by Cummins at one of their traveling truck sales. Less than $400 brand new. I still use it more frequently than I use my HF 9x20.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

My Mazak Ajax Hercules (love that name;-) has a carriage stop with a pair of allen cap screws under neath to cinch it to the bed ways.

I've cut the short leg of an allen key even shorter to set it apart so it finds it's way home when it goes on walk about.
    My hands and fingers have become accustomed to placing the key and giving the yanks to snug things home. It's not hard. We humans are amazing!~