Thread: sten mk II

Default sten mk II

I am making a sten mk II how do you do the layout on the receiver tube like a square hole 1 in wide 2 in long

The tube is 1.5 in O.D 1.375 in I.D have not worked with tubing.

Looking for good information working with tubing.

Bill

A set of V blocks. A flat surface and a Height gauge. OR a mill, vise, and a scratch awl in the chuck.

Bob

Draw the design you need on a piece of paper and glue it to the tube. Set it up in "V" blocks and mill out the hole. Those older Sten kits use to come with a layout sheet that was glued to the tube. You might try https://archive.org/details/Sten_MkI...Bond_Blueprint There is a lot of information in Google.

Are you building a real-deal open bolt, full auto Sten? I've always admired how utilitarian these things are. I had a friend who built one from one of those kits ages ago. I never fired it or saw it shoot, but it was pretty cool to handle. I have always sort of wanted to build one but would never bother with the NFA stuff required to do so. Do post pictures!
    Last edited by alanganes; 09-04-2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Still learning to type...

Quote Originally Posted by alanganes View Post
    Are you building a real-deal open bolt, full auto Sten? I've always admired how utilitarian these things are. I had a friend who built one from one of those kits ages ago. I never fired it or saw it shoot, but it was pretty cool to handle. I have always sort of wanted to build one but would never bother with the NFA stuff required to do so. Do post pictures!
    When I started my first single shot rifle I checked the federal law thoroughly concerning the rules/regulations of building from scratch an actual shooting firearm to find out for certain what was going to be involved. What I discovered is that anyone who may legally own/buy a legal firearm may construct one for themselves without any sort of permit, permission, registration, etc as long as said firearm is of a type normally legal to own, full auto MAY NOT BE BUILT by a private individual and there are no permits issued to do so!!! The law is quite clear and even with a legal permit to own a full auto a person would not be allowed to own one built AFTER 1986, the law plainly states that new full auto firearms can be constructed only for military or police use and plainly says any application from a private individual will be denied.

The feds mean business when it comes to these things and there simply is no longer (since 1986) any legal way to build a non-military/police use full auto firearm and doing so will win a person a nice long vacation at a Federal facility!

I think, but would need to recheck to be 100% sure, that it is illegal to even build a semi-auto that fires from an open bolt since this type of action would be so easy to convert to full auto. To build even a semi-auto replica of a military full auto weapon could easily draw the attention of the feds so if anyone is considering doing so it would be well advised to check the laws THOROUGHLY and don't just take someones word for what might be legal or not, the BATF is an ornery bunch and are not likely to cut anyone any slack for even a minor infraction of the rules!

Radkins, That was sort of why I was asking. I don't closely follow changes in the laws as i am not building any guns and know the licensing issues with full autos and other NFA firearms can be tricky to navigate and the cost for screwing up is high.

The guy I knew that built one did do it legitimately, but that was in maybe 1980 or 81, before all of the federal laws changed. The guy passed away years ago, no idea what ever became of his Sten. I think you are correct on the open bolt thing, I don't believe they are legal to build.

Another recommendation to stay clear of legal problems is to build a replica Sten with a different size tube for the receiver so that the original bolt will not fit/work with your gun. I have seen several ideas as to how to build one that fires from the closed bolt and they used a different type of buffer spring arrangement and a proper hammer/disconnector arrangement.

I have been working at fabbing up an AR receiver from steel and I have alos looked at the Sten plans and I am thinking about how I could use an AR trigger group in one. Prices are not bad for the stock trigger group if you buy the lower parts kit from Brownells and all the dimensions are readily available. Might not look totally like the original Sten from the outside, but is an easy way to stay out of trouble. Take a look at Uzi mags, as it seems that Sten mags aren't as common as they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by alanganes View Post
    I think you are correct on the open bolt thing, I don't believe they are legal to build.
    Yes that is correct. Open bolt firing guns can no longer be legally manufactured.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Quote Originally Posted by kf2qd View Post
    Another recommendation to stay clear of legal problems is to build a replica Sten with a different size tube for the receiver so that the original bolt will not fit/work with your gun. I have seen several ideas as to how to build one that fires from the closed bolt and they used a different type of buffer spring arrangement and a proper hammer/disconnector arrangement.

I have been working at fabbing up an AR receiver from steel and I have alos looked at the Sten plans and I am thinking about how I could use an AR trigger group in one. Prices are not bad for the stock trigger group if you buy the lower parts kit from Brownells and all the dimensions are readily available. Might not look totally like the original Sten from the outside, but is an easy way to stay out of trouble. Take a look at Uzi mags, as it seems that Sten mags aren't as common as they used to be.
    I beleive there was a series of articles in the Shotgun News magazine maybe 10 years ago of a guy who built a legal semiauto Sten doing something similar to what you describe. I am fuzzy on the details but I think he used a Sten style tube with a different ID and AR innards as you describe. Might be worth hunting down a copy for ideas if you are still thinking about cooking up something like that. I'd expect that the internet knows where you could find reprint or back issue of the articles. Be a cool project, I think.