Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shars 1/2 Indexable End Mill

Further update on the end mill, i ordered in some ground and polished APKT inserts meant for aluminium, hopefully ill get some nice results once i have them in hand. I got impatient today though, and figured if a ground insert gave good results, whats to stop me from taking one of the inserts i have on hand and sharpening it on a diamond stone to get the same results?

Youd think common sense, but thats never stopped me before

At any rate, it actually worked pretty well, given that i was hand-sharpening a carbide insert on a china-grade diamond stone. Touched up the edged enough so they could actually be called sharp, then gave it a shot:

Again, worked pretty well. Surface finish was head and shoulders above what i was getting before sharpening, and my mill seemed to like it a lot more. Still a pretty nasty interrupted cut of course, but it was easy to tell it was actually cutting instead of plowing. Less noise and shaking and banging. The chips also looked a lot better, this was 416 stainless and out of the box the inserts were giving some pretty dark blue, ragged chips. After sharpening, i was getting the nice, golden comma-shaped chips you can see in the picture. I know blue chips are good with carbide because it means the chip is carrying all the heat from the cut, but in this case the gold chips left the workpiece a LOT cooler.

Cant wait till i have the actual inserts in hand!

I was not sure what an indexable end milling cutter was/is so I "went looking".

While I was at it I got the info and here it is.

http://www.shars.com/products/indexa...exable-milling

And one last update. Box of inserts made its way in, all the way from Germany:

All nice and shiny, plus they got that German precision. Maybe. I dunno, they were cheap and i bought them off eBay, so who knows where they came from. Anyway, got one tossed in and threw a piece of scrap aluminium on the mill to take a few test cuts:

The deeper cuts on the left were from a new 1/2 HSS end mill, the shallower cut is from one of the steel inserts in the indexable end mill, and the long cut starting from the right was with the new, aluminium insert. Also, i lied, that was 416 stainless, not aluminium. Wouldnt know from how easy it cut though. Went through like butter, still a bit of a noisy cut but no anywhere near the hammering sound of the steel inserts and the surface finish is amazing. Head and shoulders above even the HSS end mill, admittedly a low quality one. Plus, i can run the indexable end mill a lot faster, to the motor is happier too. Side cutting was a lot nicer too:

Not the best picture, but the finish is on par with the HSS end mill, nowhere near the mangled end i was getting before. I did end up having to modify the tool a bit, probably something to do with the impressive eBay pedigree of the tool (knew that price was a little too good to be true), but the shaft of the mill was rubbing the cut pretty badly, really mucked things up. Did something stupid, removed the insert, chucked in in the lathe and took a few thousandths from the shank. Nothing too major, just enough to stop the rubbing issue. Really wish i had a tool post grinder, one of these days ill put together a holder for my QCTP to hold one of those pneumatic pencil grinders. Carbide tooling worked though, barely, the shank was harder than anticipated and it was a pretty nasty interrupted cut. Did the job all the same though, didnt interfere with the insert indexing either. I did notice that either the diameter of the mill is slightly less than 1/2", or my DRO scales freaked out again, because something wasnt lining up, measurement wise.

Ah well, ill worry about that later. For now though, im happy, getting very, very nice cuts. The aluminium inserts worked way better than i anticipated, im thinking next up is a box of SEHT for my facemill, followed by some CCGX for my lathe tooling

I've found 416 cuts pretty nicely. Almost ss nice as 303 in my opinion.

304/308/316 tend to be finicky.

great feedback, thanks for the info. By the mill rubbing the cut, do you mean that there wasn't enough clearance behind the cutting edge, so the body of the holder was rubbing the cut edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I've found 416 cuts pretty nicely. Almost ss nice as 303 in my opinion.

304/308/316 tend to be finicky.
    Funny you should mention, I actually moved to 416 after trying 304. That was not a fun experiment, I lost a few end mills, a reamer and several drills to it. The 416 is just so much nicer to work with, cuts like butter and give really beautiful chips. Almost acts like a harder version of brass to me. Love the stuff, definitely worth the extra cost over 304

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    great feedback, thanks for the info. By the mill rubbing the cut, do you mean that there wasn't enough clearance behind the cutting edge, so the body of the holder was rubbing the cut edge?
    Yeah, sorry. Clearance would've been a better word for it, but yeah, the backside of the tool was smacking into the work piece. I hadn't noticed on the steel inserts because the crappy finish the insert left disguised the marks from the tool contact. The new inserts left a much nicer finish, so it was easier to see where it was being marred

Try 416R if you don't need to weld it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Try 416R if you don't need to weld it.
    416r, that's prehardened 416, isn't it? I've always wondered, what's the advantage to working with prehardened material? I've heard mentions of superior surface finish, but does that really make up for the (assuming) extra trouble machining?

Id be curious about trying some, but I get the feeling my poor little mill would crap out if I threw anything tougher than 1018 at it. The machine is about as ridgid as spaghetti, I've got a few ideas for improvement but that's all way down the road

Quote Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
    Yeah, sorry. Clearance would've been a better word for it, but yeah, the backside of the tool was smacking into the work piece. I hadn't noticed on the steel inserts because the crappy finish the insert left disguised the marks from the tool contact. The new inserts left a much nicer finish, so it was easier to see where it was being marred
    no worries - weird that it didn't have the right clearance. Might be something to do with the interrupted cut and flexing of the tool/ mill or it might be that they didn't quite make it right

I wonder what the smallest size they make a 2 flute indexable in? I have a single flute homemade dovetail cutter and boy does that hammer..

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    no worries - weird that it didn't have the right clearance. Might be something to do with the interrupted cut and flexing of the tool/ mill or it might be that they didn't quite make it right

I wonder what the smallest size they make a 2 flute indexable in? I have a single flute homemade dovetail cutter and boy does that hammer..
    I've found a few 2 insert 3/8 mills, but they get pricey and the inserts are pretty up there too.