Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What did I buy?

Default What did I buy?

Showed up to buy a mini mill for a song on CL. The guy had inherited a ton of machinist stuff from a man that made clocks. He was more or less trying to get rid of stuff to free up space in his shed. He doesn't do any machining and had no use for or idea about what he had. I offered him a crisp 20 dollar bill for and he loaded me up with everything we could find related to the lathe. I'm no jeweler or watch maker but I'm sure some of you guys know what I've got and what it's worth. I know it's a peerless, and I have no intention of ever using it I just couldn't let it go to the scrap yard like I'm afraid he would have done.

Thanks for taking a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some other stuff that followed me home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better start making clocks and watches. You might have difficulty fitting the four jaw chucks to the lathe.

All junk, I'll give you$50 as scrap and pay shipping to the scrap yard here.

I'll give you $75!!!

Great haul!!

I've sent you a Private Message.

Pete
    Last edited by 10KPete; 09-09-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

you got the gloat of the year for $20. A well accesorized watchmakers lathe and the chrome looks in in excellent shape. With extensive collets it is a nice find. Peerless is a good but not premium name imo. The four jaws aren't for it. The three jaws and bezel chuck (with 6 jaws) are expensive additions. There isn't a slide rest (think crosslide)...they are not imo that important, but with it the price shoots up as a " complete" kit. The things on wires in the left corner are for wheel cutting (gears), if in good shape they'd be sought after. The lathe looks to be missing its original feet....but maybe they are hiding.

The things will all the rods are stakings sets, from putting things on and off staffs (think shafts) is the most common use, but there are lots more. From the look I'd say K&D The brass thing in the box is a pivot drill - when a pivot is broken off say on a balance staff, and you don't want to make a new one, you can drill a hole in the existing staff and put in a replacement pivot. last is carbide drills, pretty common but useful.

Lathes like that have precision plain bearings that go forever if oiled. Don't run it without oiling the spindle, and hand turn it a bunch before power up
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 09-09-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Lots of 8 mm collets in the first picture. The two four jaw chucks in the first photo do not belong to he watchmaker's lathe. The second picture probably an European pivot polisher. The third photo shows staking sets used for re staffing and staking wheels on arbors. The third picture shows what looks like a set of tungsten carbide circuit board drills in a numbered drill size set. Depending on condition, looks like he gave you many dollars wort of stuff. Go to a NAWCC site and offer it to watch repair people if you decide to sell. I would gladly offer you 20 times what you paid.

That's definitely suck worthy. In fact, I've called the police to report a theft.

You suck. Jeezz.

How do you sleep at night? I'd have had to add a Benny or two just to feel fair.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine