Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What did I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Wasn't mine to sell, nor advise. I personally have no interest in watch or clock making. The widow initially wanted it to go to someone who might use it, not sell it, like another watchmaker. That proved difficult to find.
    Heck, I could pretty easily find 10 people who would be very interested, starting with myself! Haha. I didn't realize right away that the slide rest was there. I only wish I had the shop budget to make a reasonable offer. PM me if you'd like some assistance finding a home for it, seems like we could pretty easily make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mars-red View Post
    Heck, I could pretty easily find 10 people who would be very interested, starting with myself! Haha. I didn't realize right away that the slide rest was there. I only wish I had the shop budget to make a reasonable offer. PM me if you'd like some assistance finding a home for it, seems like we could pretty easily make that happen.
    Lathe, bench and tools are long gone. She wanted her husband's stuff to be used to help out someone in the trade, either someone starting out or a watch repair guy who had experience but needed a lathe to complement his skills.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri in the USA)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Prior to using them, I held the same view about the need for a sliderest (they call it that as opposed to the rest for the graver). I've got one with the sliderest but don't use it much. The work is so small that you kind wrap yourself around the lathe with a loup a fraction of an inch away from the work, there just isn't room for the slide. The work is challenging in a fun way, but not as bad as you might think but you have to right close with a loupe. From limited experience the hand held tool gives the sensitivity you need
    It's much better with a binocular microscope. The view is from above, out of the way, and they commonly have a focal length at reasonable magnifications that puts the work at a sensible distance.

Loupes went out with the dinosaurs.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    It's much better with a binocular microscope. The view is from above, out of the way, and they commonly have a focal length at reasonable magnifications that puts the work at a sensible distance.

Loupes went out with the dinosaurs.
    have you made many balance staffs?

I've wanted to try mounting my stereoscopic microscope over the lathe, but haven't got around to trying it yet. I can definitely attest to a strong loupe working very well though. I don't even use nice ones, I use the cheap black plastic ones, up to 15x. The nice ones with achromatic glasses are just wonderful, from what I understand.

This is the last balance staff I made using my cheap loupes: