Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: diy belt sander

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
    Are you referring to PINTEREST.THEY USUALLY HAVE GOOD PHOTOGRAPHIC IDEAS. Alistair
    No it wasnt pinterest. It was a dedicated site,i think knife based . I will be using a vfd and three phase motor.I would like a longer belt as I suspect it will perform much better. We can get belts made up here in S Africa but its far cheaper to get an off the shelf belt/

This is the one I just finished;

4x54 belt, 2 hp 3500 rpm, 4" wheel on the bottom, 3" on top.
    Table is off an old smaller sander.

Yes, I left a lot of finish flaws, mainly because I'm still trying to figure out procedure sequences.
    Like cutting the main support to near net and not having enough left to clean up the saw marks!

Hey...it works like a champ, what can I say.

Hmmm...those are supposed to be thumb nails...I'm still figuring out Imgur too.
    Last edited by QSIMDO; 09-13-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO View Post

4x54 belt, 2 hp 3500 rpm, 4" wheel on the bottom, 3" on top.
    Table is off an old smaller sander.

Yes, I left a lot of finish flaws, mainly because I'm still trying to figure out procedure sequences.
    Like cutting the main support to near net and not having enough left to clean up the saw marks!

Hey...it works like a champ, what can I say.

Hmmm...those are supposed to be thumb nails...I'm still figuring out Imgur too.
    That is real nice and exactly what I want to build. I hope you learn how to use imgur as I would love to get a closer look. Did you do this from plans>?

No, I "borrowed" the basic design from Tom Lipton's build...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJiKV2XMMvA

Then modified due to face mount motor and other factors.
    The platen I cut one of the legs off a piece of C channel.

Tom's is a really good design

When I tried the first picture it was wicked huge!
    Last edited by QSIMDO; 09-13-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I had a download once of a site with hundreds of different designs for linishers. I lost it when my pc crashed. I cant seem to find it anymore. It was a real good link. Does anyone know the site I am referring to.?
    I think this might be it. So much good stuff, it is overwhelming. I really want to archive it, especially after the photo*ckit fiasco. Gotta hoard the good data!

http://gonza-rytec.rajce.idnes.cz/belt_grinders
    http://gonza-rytec.rajce.idnes.cz/belt_grinders2

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    118" belt is starting to make the grinder somewhat largish. Maybe not a problem at all but worth noting beforehand.
    An excellent point, thanks for bringing it up! Completely slipped my mind to, guess in my head i was thinking the benefits of having a longer belt outweighed, well, thinking about the disadvantages

Most direct drive belt sanders suffer from too low a belt speed because of the typical 4" drive pulley. It is interesting that most inverter duty motors today have the 60hz nominal speed rating and a 5400 rpm maximum speed rating too. So a VFD can give you a much more effective belt speed too.

Quote Originally Posted by darryl View Post
    I use a 4x36 belt on my drum sander. Not the same thing, I know, but I upgraded my choice of belt to a zirconia- I'll never look back.
    X2 on what Darryl said,I use it on my 24" Disc Grinder works great.One product that I would like to try is the green abrasive that Fein lists as media R ,that is suppose to be a notch up from the blue zirconium.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    .One product that I would like to try is the green abrasive that Fein lists as media R ,that is suppose to be a notch up from the blue zirconium.
    Possibly something "ceramic" like 3M cubitron or Norton Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO View Post
    that's an awesome looking belt grinder! I've been mulling around ideas for a similar upright 2 pulley belt sander for a while now (idea is to make it a belt/ disk sander with a common shaft and belt driven) and I keep getting hung up on the tension/ tracking adjustment. Yours looks like it has the tension at the top and the tracking on the side, at the end of the upper pulley shaft. How is that shaft retained in the column? How does the tensioner at the top attach to it?