Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Source for Splined Wrench to fit top of Mill Drill Spindle

Default Source for Splined Wrench to fit top of Mill Drill Spindle

I recently destroyed the wrench that I use to lock the splined spindle on my Mill Drill when I tighten the Hex bolt to lock the drawbar in my mill. I bought it many years ago ( I think it was through an ad in one of the HSM magazines) but I cannot find a current source. The particular one I bought has a splined female hole on one end and a hex on the other end. I really just need the splined wrench since I use a ratchet box wrench to tighten the drawbar. Hopefully, someone on the forum knows of a source. Thanks in advance
    Fred Townroe

Have you tried Googling mill drill spline wrench?

Little Machine Shop has them.

Go down to the nearest tractor dealer/ag supply/ power transmission supply house and ask for a (PTO Adapter, Sleeve Type, 1-1/8" 6 Spline Female, 1-3/8" 6 Spline Male).
    These are really cheap and if you like you can make several out of one by slicing off pieces and then welding a handle onto it.
    I'm pretty sure these are the right dimensions but it should not take long to check before you buy or cut one up.
    I've got a couple that I've used in the past and I believe those are the correct dimensions. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Grizzly has them:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Spin...-Wrench/T26307

And they are even made in the USA.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Yep, some them furin back-yard tracters have them melon-meter spines. A little cuttin' and grindin' ought to fix er rat up.

I use a 23mm 12 point box end wrench on my X-3 mill. Something similar may wpork on yours.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

I used a regular box end wrench on the splines but it deformed the splines. For my new mill I bought the wrench from Little Machine Shop. It is the same brand that Grizzly sells.

I made the spindle for my Grizzly X-3, I had a spanner wrench that I never used, so took a large 2.3" washer that had a small hole and using the DRO I drilled six .245 holes on .400 radius. Then machined out the center to fit over the mills spindle. Welded the spanner wrench to the machined washer and have been using it for several years now. Just could not see paying $25 for one.

As you are tightening the drawbar into the tool-holder that's in the other end of the spindle, isn't it kinder to the tapers to hold that tool-holder instead of the spindle?
    In my Rong Fu I use a drill chuck, an end-mill holder or a face mill, any of which can easily be held against the torque of tightening the drawbar. In no case is excessive torque required to ensure that the taper then does its job of turning the arbor without any slip.
    Of course, the Rong Fu is only a small machine, and both ends of the spindle can easily be reached simultaneously by one machinist. I have no experience of giant machines.