Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Source for Splined Wrench to fit top of Mill Drill Spindle

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurr View Post
    Happily, recasting to the original shape or to whatever suits your fancy is straightforward.
    LOL... I was expecting posts saying that it looks hardly broken in yet....

When I took the picture earlier today of it I have to admit that in my mind's eye it was a lot worse off. In reality it's doing just fine and has another 15 or 20 years of use in it before it will require re-casting.

Mostly I always wanted to re-cast it to accept a handle. But really it's been superbly useful just as a hand held bonker. A handle would actually get in the way more than anything.

What about modifying your design to incorporate a small shear pin ?

Use a spring pin or even soft rod made of steel, brass, aluminum or whatever fails at a suitable torque loading.

The next time the shop gorilla sheepishly hands the drawbar to you in pieces, it can be restored to service in a few moments.
    Hey that's a great idea Eddy!
    It shouldn't take a lot of science to find a pin that breaks at a given torque load. As long as it doesn't break inadvertently when loosening the drawbar.
    I'll have to get one put together before Jethro comes back to help me with fixin' chinery.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

While looking into Willy's suggestion about the Male/Female PTO Adapter, I came across another Mill Drill Spindle Spline Wrench candidate.

I have one and can confirm the following:

Princess Auto #8087405 "Splined Adapter Sleeve"

1-1/8" x 6 splines inside. A little loose on a 28mm spindle spline (1.125" vs 1.098"), but serviceable.

Comes with holes to insert a Tommy Bar and with what appears to be cadmium plating.

If desired, saw it in half to make two.

This unit will eventually break, due to thin wall.

Tractor supply also has a thicker wall version of this adaptor that will never fail.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkwolf View Post
    This unit will eventually break, due to thin wall.

Tractor supply also has a thicker wall version of this adaptor that will never fail.
    I think the drawbar threads would fail long before the splined adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkwolf View Post
    jmarkwolf, do you have a link?
    "There's a place for us,
    A special place for us.
    Perspiration and chaos and sulfurous air
    Wait for us
    Somewhere."

(Apologies to Stephen Sondheim who wrote the lyrics and Leonard Bernstein who wrote the music to Somewhere from Westside Story.)

No, you don't have to get it that tight, but that is not the concern. I have a gear head mill and have used one with belt and pulley drive. Both were Chinese imports and neither one had any way of locking the spindle when tightening or loosening the drawbar. On the pulley drive mill I just grabbed the belt and that worked. You could easily get the drawbar tight enough or loosen it. But it always left my hand black so I did not like it.

My present mill has a gear head and no way of locking the spindle. So I wound up shifting the gears down to the lowest speed and using the drag in the gear chain to tighten or loosen against. This works, but I do not like doing it this way as it puts a strain on my gears and gears have been known to break. And if it is stuck you wind up striking the wrench sharply to free it, putting more strain/shock on the gear teeth. Besides, the constant shifting down and back up is a real PITA. So, when I discovered the wrenches for gripping the spline, I immediately purchased one. It works great and there is no strain or shock on the gears. It is the professional way to do this: comparable to not using a pair of pliers to turn a nut or bolt head.

The one that I purchased from Grizzly has two ends for two popular sizes of splines on the Chinese mill/drills.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Do you really need to get the drawbar that tight? I guess it varies but I'm easily able to tighten the R8 collets with just my hold on the big pulley and the friction from holding the belt.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

jmarkwolf, do you have a link?
    Sorry, I don't get on the tractor supply website and search for spline shaft adapter. They have many different flavors, but you're better off going to the store and looking at them in person.

Just about any ag equipment dealer will carry both the cheaper sleeves as well as the heavy duty version.
    I just grabbed the two limks below at random but I've seen them just about anywhere power transmission products are sold.

https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/uni...tml?price=-100

http://www.doublehh.com/index.php/li...s/pto-adapter/