Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New and "Improved" web site

Or click on this link and see what it looks like on your system and not PStechPauls:

https://e8d03422cca5-028224.demo.vbu...rum/main-forum
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

As I stated in an early post I really don't mind the new style at all. Just need to get a few bugs out than a little time to figure out how to make it work the best for you. I have never had an issue with some upgrades but there always is a learning curve till you sort things out. Can't wait for the new style to come back just give us a few options to set up to what works for us.

Want to also add that there sure is a lot of crying about nothing that can't be learned and adjusted to ones liking. Every one who doesn't like it should just move on than and I'm sure the new people coming onto this site will like it just fine because that is how it is. !!!!! GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON!!!!! Thank you George for giving a us a good site that is FREE

Quote Originally Posted by oldtiffie View Post
    Thanks JR.

I see that you have no trouble using/inserting "images" either.

Is/was it a case of pushing the knife in and twisting it?

I guess that some here - after seeing your post with "images" - will be very pleased and relieved too - at your revelations.
    Sorry O'l guy. None of the above.

I like ya like all the other folks here. But don't put words in my mouth. I only post pictures via pb because they (my pics) are insignificant. Fleeting in essence. Mine will go away when my current contract ends. Said and done. I wont pay them for ransomware.

Now if I was like Brian, Wes or Thrud. Yeah, I would use a better server.

JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNev View Post
    I like it this way.
    I like it this way too. There was no need to change the appearance, I didn't like it either. Compounded by not being able to post pictures I was ready to delete the shortcut. Reverting back to the original layout saved the day.

JL...............

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I like it this way too. There was no need to change the appearance, I didn't like it either. Compounded by not being able to post pictures I was ready to delete the shortcut. Reverting back to the original layout saved the day.

JL...............
    Y'all DO understand that this IS the old site, and will persist (per George's comments) only as long as it takes the IT folks to get the new version to work right, do you not?

Therefore there WILL BE a new version. And it will be pretty much like what you saw before, because it is too expensive and difficult to make it like what you are seeing as of 10/07/17 (US date format). Maybe the IT folks can do the color change, that seems to be a stock part of the software, and maybe they can't figure it out. But having what you see as of now is not a long term option, according to all George has said.

You will probably notice many other sites looking about the same as this, since most seem to be updating....

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I don't understand the persistent griping about the forum, and the snarks about Photobucket and the (imagined) inability to upload and post images on the forum. The "threats" by some members to abandon this forum, or to never post images because their Photobucket account will be terminated, seem pretty hollow, immature, and ineffective. Even when simple work-arounds and new methods are presented, it seems that some refuse to even try to learn, and whine that they will only accept the "way it was", or they will take all their toys and go home.

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    I don't understand the persistent griping about the forum, and the snarks about Photobucket and the (imagined) inability to upload and post images on the forum. The "threats" by some members to abandon this forum, or to never post images because their Photobucket account will be terminated, seem pretty hollow, immature, and ineffective. Even when simple work-arounds and new methods are presented, it seems that some refuse to even try to learn, and whine that they will only accept the "way it was", or they will take all their toys and go home.
    +1
    But I also don't understand "IT Professionals" who don't understand "Test Sites" where you set up a new version in the background and have a group of invited testers play with the new version while you get your shed together, learn your job, and finally migrate the live site data to a decent working configuration of the new software rather than trying to learn on a live site then failing completely and losing some data in the process.

It's a learning and growing process but it's been replicated by so many sites, so many times, over so many years, you'd think there'd be an awareness of the issues by now :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Magicniner View Post
    +1
    But I also don't understand "IT Professionals" who don't understand "Test Sites" where you set up a new version in the background and have a group of invited testers play with the new version while you get your shed together, learn your job, and finally migrate the live site data to a decent working configuration of the new software rather than trying to learn on a live site then failing completely and losing some data in the process.

It's a learning and growing process but it's been replicated by so many sites, so many times, over so many years, you'd think there'd be an awareness of the issues by now :-(
    Test Sites?? Putting a new software release in Production (going "Live") is SOP for software developers in one part of the world. They fix bugs when the complaints pour in. Cheaper that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicniner View Post
    +1
    I must agree. It's not like the 1970s where setting up a test system required a million or so dollars investment. I've been known to set up prototype websites for large companies on a spare laptop. Once it's approved and tested it's just a matter of copying the pertinent files from one system to the other.

The problem with using beta testers to "play with the new design" is that they are likely as not to approve of a design that will still not satisfy a portion of the user base. For instance... I got used to the new design in reasonably short order since I can change my user preferences in my profile.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Test Sites?? Putting a new software release in Production (going "Live") is SOP for software developers in one part of the world. They fix bugs when the complaints pour in. Cheaper that way.
    The last fortune 500 company that I worked for was transitioning to a "continuous development" concept as I left. It guaranteed that there were changes to the site several times a week, and that the difficult bugs were never fixed. Before that they used a quality control process that ensured that there were no bugs before each release, and included some really robust "release control" to minimize the chances of broken software making it into the live systems.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)