Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: New and "Improved" web site

I know IT guys need work but let them find another way of doing it, leave what works alone.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman View Post
    I know IT guys need work but let them find another way of doing it, leave what works alone.
    I'd say: By definition, security vulnerabilities means not working

Gripe all you like but I'd guess that at the end of the day you/we will get what Village Press is prepared to pay their "IT" people for and it will be presented to us as a "this is how its going to be folks - take it or leave it" - as their sole right - when they think its good enough.

I am quire satisfied as it is now and as it was before the upgrade.

I have heard that hackers don't go after old programs because no one uses them. Normally hackers go after the new stuff that everyone uses to get the most impact. Old stuff is better!
    Andy

Not true... "hackers" are typically impersonal robots that don't give a damn. OLD is good for them. They process is "list" of known vulnerabilities until they an exploit, and get inside; then they might tell their human master. Running an old or not updated browser of almost any flavor is going to get them "inside". Once inside, they can look around at whatever else happens to be connected. OK, simplistic, but OLD is good for hackers.

Yesterday I was helping a neighbor fix his toilet and brought up a U-tube movie of how to do it on his machine. frigg.. Security warnings (real and fake) everywhere so I look... his McAfee hasn't been updated for 4 years, he's running Office 2003, and it' s his home Business (Real Estate Appraiser). I'm blacklisting his email, and I will never RD into his machine from mine. Worse, he doesn't think it's a problem to run like that.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 10-08-2017 at 12:54 PM.

As Lakeside said, in virtually every instance, the attack starts with an automated probe of the system. "The system" can be a corporate database server, a PC or a cell phone.

Each probe gives you a little more information. For instance, probing the home shop machinist web server discloses this information which is very helpful to hackers ;
    Code:
    Server: Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu)
    This tells the hackers several things. First is that the version of Apache is old. Second, is that it's on a specific Linux software (ubuntu). Last, is that the Linux operating system installation is an older one, most likely from 2012 since that was the last package that used apache 2.2.22. Given that, I don't need to try the hacks for any of the windows OSes or windows based software. I don't need to try the hacks for bugs introduced last year. There are lists of possible exploits for that version of web server and OS so I would start there.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

I would not be at all surprised and given that the Village Press people probably use the software for making money on and for its "paid for" (revenue/income) subscriptions and sales as a primary profit set-up, it seems that as if this is the better the case then this forum is pretty well a "dead loss" as it seems to incur all costs as losses with costs paid for internally by VP.

I often wonder if this forum was "dropped/deleted" that VP profits/income would be improved if that value incurred by this forum etc. were shown as a "profit".

Perhaps they see it as a "publicity" or "good will" gesture as well as some income from book and publications sales etc.

I would think that VP's finances to subsidise this forum are finite and limited after all and get bigger with every cost incurred here.

I will be very interested to see how it all eventuates.

So far as I am aware, no members here incur any costs in using this forum - same pretty well included people who are not registered users but are able to "look and see" as well.

I think that while the service here provided by George Bulliss is excellent, I'd just have to "get used" to it and find other suitable services and/or alternative way/s - which I'd do if I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtiffie View Post

So far as I am aware, no members here incur any costs in using this forum - same pretty well included people who are not registered users but are able to "look and see" as well.
    We do not "PAY".

That is not to say we do not provide income via the site.

Start out by realizing that if you yourself subscribed to the magazine, which I do not believe you do, you would pay a portion of the cost of producing the magazine copies you receive. Not ALL the cost, but some of it.

The remainder of the cost is subsidized by the advertisers, who pay for the privilege of putting their ads in front of your eyes in the magazine. And, they KNOW that they are getting a certain sort of person to look at the ads, since they are looking at a hobby metalworking magazine.

Well, this site is much the same.

The advertisers pay some amount for the privilege of putting ads HERE, and, again, they KNOW the folks who will see those ads are interested in metalworking. They have a narrowly targeted audience, which is worth more.

In both cases, if it were not for "us", Those who subscribe, and those who come here, there would be no point to the ads.

We who post here provide the "content" that draws more viewers, and causes more people to see the ads. Likewise, those who write for the magazine provide the content that enables the ads to make economic sense.

So, be careful in how you describe a "free service". Just by the act of posting, you actually make the site that much more desirable for an advertiser.

It pays VP to have folks who visit the forum go and look at the ads from time to time. They undoubtedly pay by the "hit", and a visit to the advertisers site is even better. You might even see something you want to buy.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Thanks JT - a good and "to the point" post - as usual.

I pretty well agree with all that you say - also as normal.

But a lot of complainants here do seem to have a view that all of their requirements here are "needed" - and that the VP budget for it here is a sort of limitless and bottomless "honey pot".

A sort of "magic pudding" or a "loaves and fishes" episode if you like.

But they need to be careful what and how much of "it" they wish for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Pudding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeding_the_multitude

As you say, it is the"content" and associated "images" from this forum that make it what it is to lots of people and "customers" and "new members" that make the threads so very good in most cases.

But as of late there is a marketed "drop off" in the images that make the forum the selling tool that it was and to a quite limited, sense still is.

If say "PhotoBucket (PB) - or the like - were being used again here - as by so many who are very good users of it - and were offered a "special deal" by PB and VP then it may well be a "win-win" relationship that benefits many users/(members here - as well as Village Press (VP) - and PB.

Having a really good imaging package might get a lot of members who seem to have "withdrawn" - which is a shame - a good relatively cheap imaging package used by say most members who really need a good imaging package.
    Last edited by oldtiffie; 10-08-2017 at 10:48 PM.

If posting members - preferably including "PB type" images - do not continue to contribute and post here then perhaps in their absence other members will/may - along with at least some advertisers here continue to decide the "worth" to them of plain (no images) posts will cause them to consider to continue as/if they see less or no value of this forum to/for them.

Perhaps changing to "Shop Made Tools" may be more favourably used and/or used instead of this forum.

Shop Made Tools is very much worth a very good look at it after all.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...w=1536&bih=719

https://www.google.com.au/search?sou....0.Os5SxNn7l4M
    Last edited by oldtiffie; 10-10-2017 at 11:05 PM.