Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R.I.P Tom Petty

Machine your observations would carry more weight if you prefaced your posts with maybe....
    As history has clearly shown...

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    I will hang on to those few extra YEARS I'm likely to enjoy by not smoking. I'll also enjoy the higher quality of life going smoke free also provides for many, many years in the meantime. Life is precious, and when you're down to the wire, nearly all human beings come to truly appreciate that simple fact. Despite your internet bravado, I suspect you will too will realize it when the time comes. Especially if you have good friends, family, a wife, kids and grand kids that love you.

"Doesn't matter. You're going to die anyway. What difference does a day or two in the grand scheme of things make?"

It does matter. It matters a great deal. Scientific evidence very clearly shows it's not a "day or two." That's a lie. A stupid lie made by stupid people.

"Your point wasn't needed in this thread. This was a thread about yet another music legend that has left us recently. Most of us don't care what killed him"

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were the spokesperson for the internet. How did that come to pass?

"It's good to be king...."

Oh, that's how it came to pass.

I started this thread and it wandered and that's exactly what I was looking for, I agree with both you and garage mark even though your at opposite sides of the spectrum...

I say there's a happy medium and do the best you can without feeling like a monk,,,

Also don't think Petty would be the Petty we all knew to appreciate without his defiance attitude, the songs would have been more subdued and he would not have had that extra little rasp in his voice,,, that being said yeah would have been cool to see him hang for another decade,,, nobodies got the complete answer cuz the fact is - is there isn't one,,,

there's so many things out of our control now you can play goodie two shoes if you want only to get taken out early anyways,,, that being said I see no merit in tossing in the towel early and doing stuff you know will most likely catch up to you in the long haul...

so do your best with whatever that is, make an effort and yeah once in awhile don't forget to look the grim reaper in the eye - spit in his face and then say "come get ya some bitch" to me that's Petty all the way...

Quote Originally Posted by garagemark View Post
    So what.

You go ahead and hang on to those few extra days you're going to (maybe) get by not smoking (anything), or drinking alcohol, or eating fat foods, or drinking sugary drinks, or myriad other "bad for you" things. Doesn't matter. You're going to die anyway. What difference does a day or two in the grand scheme of things make? We are all dust.

Your point wasn't needed in this thread. This was a thread about yet another music legend that has left us recently. Most of us don't care what killed him; we revel about what he accomplished in his lifetime. He will go down as one of the most brilliant and influential artists of his (our) time.

"It's good to be king...."
    well put....like Johnny Cash and Stevie Ray....he'll be sorely missed for the memories and the feelings they gave us.

We can't forget not only the influence they have on us - but us on them, would be very hard to be in their position and not want to show more of what got them there in the first place,,, and nobodies looking for someone that shows up on stage with health shakes and shots of wheat grass extract...

The beatles were awesome - but I could only take so much of their early era stuff,,, am I glad that they got into some pretty heavy drugs? yes i am because what came out of it was amazing,,, the evolution of certain bands is incredible...

some of these people sacrifice themselves in order to bring out the best of whats in them, Petty would not have been the Petty we got to know had he had the mindset like he was going to live forever - he knew he was burning it up from both ends,,, and still hardly a shooting star, he proved he had some staying power

that's why allot of his tunes have a defiance about them and probably why he had that extra little rasp in his voice,,, I think it would be a tough life, trying not to stagnate and being addicted to the success to the point of doing whatever it takes to keep being creative.

your average joe does not have to deal with that - we get to pace ourselves more and pick and choose, still every once in awhile I think it's healthy in the other direction to call the grim reaper out - look him in the eye, spit in his face and then say "come getcha some bitch"

T.P. did not go through life tip-toeing around, he called him out tens of thousands of times and got to laugh in his face, and yeah one time he finally got caught, as we all will...
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 10-06-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Yea...I can relate for damned sure. I grew up with listening to Tom Petty. My first concert was at the infamous "Warehouse" in New Orleans.. @ 1978. Tom Petty opened for the Kinks. Went there with my best friend. I lost my best friend in a motorcycle accident in 1982. Lost my other fave musician Bowie last year. And now...Tom Petty.

I'll second Three Phase Lightbulb's quote. Life is too damned short.

By the way. Smoking is surely bad for one's health. And so is breathing volatile organics. And so is snorting cocaine. FWIW...Cocaine is surely one of the worst drugs as far as damage to one's heart muscles go. Even using it for a few years and you are left with long term damage to your heart. No escaping that fact.
    The late 80's and early 90's were America's Cocaine years. A miserable drug which I can personally attest to it's pitfalls. Like my friend used to tell me... Cocaine is God's way of punishing the rich. Both Bowie and Petty talked a lot about their cocaine years. And God knows.... They had money to burn. These guys talked about parties and binges with ounces of coke. Thank God I was never rich. LOL
    Last edited by Tim9lives; 10-07-2017 at 11:10 AM.

I saw the Heart breakers on the "Dam the torpedoes" tour.....way back when.

I always get interested by the "outsiders" when it comes to music. Warren Zevon, Frank Zappa, The Doors, SRV, David Bowie, Early Tom Petty and the Heart breakers and many others that are too numerous to mention here.

But they all tend to live life at the margins, and it shows in their lifespans.

I think that's what makes them all such good artists.

"It's just the normal noises in Here"

Godspeed Tom.

yeah Petty also got into heroin for awhile too, seen an interview with him when asked about it and where he was calling drugs "useless" and "worthless" and then quickly asked the interviewer "why - do you have some?" as he was rubbing his hands together and laughing lol

would be a tough life regardless - who would want to spend that much time on the road? it's amazing many of them make it to as far as they have,,,
    that being said I heard the stones are thinking of putting out a new album? my God Kieth R. looks like he already crossed over about 3 decades ago,,,

you never know,,, lot's have also gotten taken out in plane crashes too and stuff,

and the Beatles were actually a good mixed example - sure Harrison could have lasted much longer, But not Lennon,

Im sure the last thoughts going through his mind were not "damn wish I would have cut down on my smoking" or "did I really need to drop as much acid as I did?"