Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone went overboard with the chuck guard

Default Someone went overboard with the chuck guard

Safety first... and second... and third.

It's actually a good idea when using flood coolant with the higher RPMs.. Who wants coolant being flung all over when you can catch it and let it all drip back down into the pan. The view from the side should be fine.
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

They made it that size so they could get their head inside to see the work when it's closed!

How safe is it when you can't see what you're doing? That's like wrapping your entire body in a trash bag before having sex instead of using a condom.

Looks easy enough to see....

When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

I made a pretty good chuck guard from a couple of small boat trailer fenders, the round ones not the flat ones. Flip it up and slide it back one the telescopic tube and it's clear of the operating zone. Pull it out up to 30" or so and flip it down and it contains chips and spray well thanks to the curled edges. I used part of the second for a fixed extension attaches to the telescope mount to keep the drip inside the chip pan in back. Works for lathe swings in the 14 to 18 range. There's larger fenders for large lathes but I've never seen smaller ones.

About like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Trailer-Fe...FZur8S&vxp=mtr

Problem is, they are hard to see through. Working with the guard down is like peeking into a cave. I have a second pair I was gonna use for my lathe but, you know, round tuit.

I like the idea of clear Lexan chuck guards but the ones I've seen need a bunch of practical engineering to make them actually effective and convenient.
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 10-05-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    How safe is it when you can't see what you're doing? That's like wrapping your entire body in a trash bag before having sex instead of using a condom.
    You have not been drilling much on the lathe, it sounds like..

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Looks easy enough to see....
    As long as you aren't taking a cut. Look closer at the first photo, there is an interlock on the guard. Whoever went to the trouble of installing this isn't going to allow the interlock to be bypassed.

I'm not against chuck guards. I've got one on my lathe. It doesn't get in the way most of the time. This one looks counterproductive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    Really, my first thoughts too............how can you see what your doing. The guards I've seen of that style are usually clear Lexan or something and they become difficult to see through when they get dirty.

JL..............