Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Someone went overboard with the chuck guard

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    agree - drilling is also done at slow RPM's and most of the last contact the swarf has is the stationary bit - and although higher RPM's same with turning and facing,,,

boring is the one that builds up - is rotating along with the work piece and then uses centrifugal force to propel itself into your eyeball... it's also unpredictable as all hell...
    I only drill at slow rpm in extremely hard material .
    So 1/2 drill 800 rpm or more .. 3/8 even higher.
    It's not just the rpm, a Chuck or faceplate, increases the coolant flinging. I had to build a guard for my 16 lathe. Rotobroaching 1. 937 holes in 3/4 thick plate. Mounted on a 12 inch faceplate.. very messy without a guard.
    Two things make a big difference.. work overhang and workholding. End of material sticking out 3 inches from Chuck less splashing, turret lathe with collets, less splash than a chuck.
    Am I the only one here that has drill presawn pieces or plastic ?

BTW when I am drilling I usually stand by the tail stock not the chucks so I can still see what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    I only drill at slow rpm in extremely hard material .
    So 1/2 drill 800 rpm or more .. 3/8 even higher.
    pushing a 1/2" bit at 800 RPM's sounds like allot to me as im down around 240 or so but don't have flood when I to it just a squirt bottle...

I like it. I NEED to build one for my current machine (17x40 Howa). The factory unit is missing. I had similar previously, and when the short hot curly springs start flying there nothing like a flip-down guard. Also... nice to pop down when you freshly oil your chuck! The previous guard had clip-on brushes to catch something. Not sure about those.. I though of putting on some short bars to break the unbreakable swarf and plastic string mess, but...

A simple "off" switch can bypass the interlock if you need. On my previous machine I moved the chuck interlock to the carriage to act as a carriage stop.

Lexan (poly-carbonate); good idea, but it doesn't last. Scratched, burnt and covered in oil/coolant goo in short order. They are nice because they are easy to fabricate, "light weight" and can take abuse without denting/bending, and can more light in, but not for "viewing though".

It's fine for home machinists to complain, but how many workplaces can even use a lathe without an interlocked chuck guard today?
    Last edited by lakeside53; 10-07-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    pushing a 1/2" bit at 800 RPM's sounds like allot to me as im down around 240 or so but don't have flood when I to it just a squirt bottle...
    Are you seriously not using CS x4 dived by Diameter to select your speeds? I ran my tapping head at speeds you are drilling at or even faster.

yeah like I say alls I have is a squirt bottle and once the hole gets buried a little im serious,,, I don't listen to "CSX4 divided by diameter" otherwise I would not have any tooling left,,,

can't squirt whilst drilling deep it does no good - going by the book does not really always work well in reality...

but can squirt down the inner bore and then use a boring bar for a pass - coolant stays inside the bore due to centrifugal force and NOT getting all "spiraled out" by a drill bit - hence the reason I stated boring is the most messiest --- due to the vastly increased speed and all the broken up chips hanging on to nothing but the interior of the work and already storing plenty of potential energies,,,, just sayin.... if your trying to convince me if you need a chip guard for drilling more than you do for boring your talking to the wrong guy and sounds like a few others on here too, not our first rodeo...

also keep in mind HSS actually stands for "high speed squeal" - simply cannot compete with carbide, you know the stuff most of us use to bore/face and turn with....

Three main reasons as to "why" boring is so much messier than drilling, first off boring can be used with drastically increased speeds - second is much more material can be removed and third is the material can be removed at easily 10 times the radius or whatever, so even if you can match the identical work speed on a 1/2" HSS bit it's only getting "launched" by a 1/4" radius -- instead of something like 5" or so.... like someone else stated most of your material just spirals out on the bit and falls into the tray - all the material from boring is "going for the big ride"

hope this helps.
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 10-07-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Looks easy enough to see....

It would, that's with the guard OPEN!

Who said you don't need it for boring ? That is just another reason for guards.
    I feel for you if CS x4 Is eating your tooling, for many people it's a start point , and with coolant can usually exceed those figures.
    Whatever works for you..