Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T: Welding hard pads onto dozer blades?

Default O/T: Welding hard pads onto dozer blades?

Ok, I dont know the terminology, meet me behind the store and beat me up later.

I was watching one of my TV shows and they were using a smallish dozer on hard frozen ground. They were moving snow.

Thing was skating around all over the place. Sure, some TV production is in there but it seems like it could be an issue for a smallish tractor?

I dont know, never drove a dozer. Three engined, two bucket scrapers, yes.

So, as a hobby weldor, do they ever "hard face" track blade faces? Yeah, I know. The cost for wear is not an option. But how about for lateral resistance to assist in the track blade to get some grip. And no real hard facing. Just a strip of whatever the track is made from. Ding Ding!!

You find a wore out track that is going to the melt, grab that. Cut the strips from that.

Pie in the sky? You Bettcha JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

I'm not a Cat operator but I've been around a lot of heavy equipment in the winter time and know what any tracked piece of equipment looks like going sideways on the ice. Not a fun ride for the guy sliding off and over the bank. Crawlers whether a dozer or excavator has great traction forward or reverse, not so much on a side slope. Not always that much of an issue until you're on frozen ground or ice, then it becomes a major issue.

Most guys will put on ice grousers during the winter if conditions warrant. Grousers are simply the raised portion of the track pad that gives forward or reverse traction. Welding on short sections of grouser bar is much like putting studs on tires, it allows the machine to get a better bite into the ice.

A quick link to what Grouser Bar is.

Home,down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

ah.. Ok, I have not seen those. Looks like they would dig in and prevent sliding. Thanks. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

http://www.grouser.com/products/tracks-bar.php

Look at the ice pick attachment on this page. Intended for skid steers but would work on steel tracks.

I have a little John Deere Dozer that i plow snow with. I would love to put calks (that is the correct name for those pieces of steel) on my machine, but it would really tear things when I use it otherwise.
    CPeter

My snow plow fleet:

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter View Post
    I have a little John Deere Dozer that i plow snow with. I would love to put calks (that is the correct name for those pieces of steel) on my machine, but it would really tear things when I use it otherwise.
    CPeter

My snow plow fleet:
    I've only seen the term calks in reference to their use in footwear as in calk boots, or when used on horse shoes.
    I believe the term of "ice grousers" is pretty well an industry accepted standard when referring to the addition of adding steel cleats to the track-pad's main grouser bars.
    Home,down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I've only seen the term calks in reference to their use in footwear as in calk boots, or when used on horse shoes.
    I believe the term of "ice grousers" is pretty well an industry accepted standard when referring to the addition of adding steel cleats to the track-pad's main grouser bars.
    When I buy them, I ask for grouser bar. "Calks" would never fly.

I might use grouser bar to make calks for something, but when welded to the track plates, they are grousers.

And that is some pretty tough material!

We called them grousers in the TOWERING FORESTS of BRITISH COLUMBIA..
    I used to be a LUMBERJACK..
    We wore Caulks.. pronounced corks in our bootsoles, excellent grip on them huge trees.

I'm just waiting for that guy to come along and tell us about high heels on women.

For the OP, consider the solid grouser bars like an ice skate. They have little to no friction to sideways force.

lg
    no neat sig line
    Last edited by larry_g; 10-06-2017 at 11:16 PM.

What happens in camp at night...stays in camp...