Thread: OT: Upgraded security settings demanded by AOL for Verizon email

Question OT: Upgraded security settings demanded by AOL for Verizon email

Around March of 2017 Verizon announced that they were getting out of the email business and transferring all accounts to AOL mail. I made the switch in April and after a few glitches it was working well enough. It used the same <username>@verizon.net, and even the servers did not need to be changed. They are still pop.verizon.net for incoming mail and smtp.verizon.net for outgoing. I have my domains set up to forward email such as paul@example.com to <username>@verizon.net, but I found that it did not always work. So I set up another forwarding to <username>@gmail.com, and set up that account to forward to <username>@verizon.net. That seemed to fix the problems, and now I can see my emails by using mail.aol.com as well as gmail.com. I am using Windows Live Mail on my Win8 laptop, and it has seemed fine.

Now I have received emails from AOL mail saying that my security settings are not adequate, and I need to change them to continue receiving email after November 7. Details are on

https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do...defeml00000002

Protocol Server Settings Port Settings
    POP3 Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net
    Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net

Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.
    POP3 - 995 - SSL

SMTP - 465 - SSL
    SMTP - 587 - SSL / TLS
    IMAP Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.aol.com
    Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com

Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.
    IMAP - 993 - SSL

SMTP - 465 - SSL
    SMTP - 587 - SSL / TLS

However, it seems that my settings were already correct according to that chart. The details for WLM show incoming mail using the IMAP protocol, but there was also a warning that it should not be changed from POP3 to IMAP, or emails could be lost.

I changed the SMTP port from 465 to 587 but I didn't notice any change.

One thing I did notice was that I could send test emails from my WLM client to <username>@verizon.net and it would be received immediately, but the forwarded emails like paul@example.com did not appear. I could, however, successfully send and receive from AOL mail and gmail.

I tried to get help from AOL but that is only available to their premium subscribers.

In May I switched from Verizon to Xfinity/Comcast but kept using the AOL servers for email. I don't know if Comcast still handles email, but I have a feeling that if they do, they may follow suit with Verizon.

I think I should still be able to get my emails via the AOL mail or gmail web apps, but I'd like to know how to verify if my security settings are OK as they are.

Hopefully someone here has more experience with email security and settings. There are probably others who also use Verizon and AOL email servers. Thanks!

Comcast Business has just shunted its email customers to office365, and given them accounts on office365
    just for email, and added $11.50 to the monthly bill for the pleasure of it all.

I don't like the change, the 365 service is a clumsy email client in my opinion and on some afternoons it is so slow that I can not
    type email replies on the browser. I have it relayed to my verizon phone and that works same as it was before the change.
    If the 365 service doesn't improve I am going to ask for an alternative.
    It will be a big nuisance if i have to get a new email address though.

[QUOTE=PStechPaul;
    Hopefully someone here has more experience with email security and settings. There are probably others who also use Verizon and AOL email servers. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I got the email also. For all of my email addresses. My setting were also correct. I think its a all hands on board type mass mailing. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Windows Live Mail does not work with Win10, and I didn't like the new Windows Mail app. Looking at alternatives, I tried Mailbird, but then settled on Mozilla Thunderbird. However, I have not yet made my Win10 machine my primary computer.

I use my domain names on www.1and1.com for my email addresses, so I don't have to fool around with changing the address with a new server. It might be possible to extract my emails directly from 1and1.com rather than having them forwarded. They do have a web app for email, but I don't know if WLM or Thunderbird can use their server for incoming and outgoing mail.

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    They do have a web app for email, but I don't know if WLM or Thunderbird can use their server for incoming and outgoing mail.
    Thunderbird is an E-mail client. It's used to send/receive E-mails through whoever your E-mail provider is.

As I understand it, once you have an Internet Service Provider (ISP), you can choose among many email providers. I was using Verizon's servers, and they transferred that to AOL. When I changed to Xfinity/Comcast as my ISP, I was able to continue using the AOL server even though it is accessed as verizon.net. Email access is via Domain Name Servers (DNS), which can point to any server on the internet. Any email that is sent to one of my domains is received by my web host, www.1and1.com. I have those domains set up to forward those emails to the AOL servers as well as the gmail servers. I have my email client set up to download the emails from the AOL servers, but I may be able to set it up to download from gmail or 1and1.

It looks like there is a way to use an email client with my domains on 1and1.com:

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    indows Live Mail does not work with Win10, and I didn't like the new Windows Mail app. Looking at alternatives, I tried Mailbird, but then settled on Mozilla Thunderbird. However, I have not yet made my Win10 machine my primary computer.

I use my domain names on www.1and1.com for my email addresses, so I don't have to fool around with changing the address with a new server. It might be possible to extract my emails directly from 1and1.com rather than having them forwarded. They do have a web app for email, but I don't know if WLM or Thunderbird can use their server for incoming and outgoing mail.
    When you send mail to paul@example.com, the sender's mail server goes to 1and1.com to ask where to send that mail. The sender's mail server then passes it along and forgets about it. It is then up to that email server to either store it for you to retrieve (possibly with Thunderbird) or to forward it to another server or another mailbox. If it goes to another mailbox it has to do the whole "look up where to send it" business all over again.

POP and IMAP are both protocols used by email clients to retrieve mail from a server. Traditionally, IMAP stores your mail on the server and it can be retrieved by multiple mail programs on multiple PCs, phones, etc. POP traditionally downloads the mail to your PC and deletes it from the server. It's meant to be used for one PC.

The caution about changing from POP to IMAP is a concern because you might have all your email stored on your computer. (That's an option in your POP mail client software.) When you change to IMAP there is no automated process to copy all those mails back to the server where the client cant find them using the IMAP protocol.

When you set up multiple forwards, it becomes complex to figure out where your mail really resides. I could tell you after looking at your PC for a few minutes, bit that's not viable (nor secure) over the internet.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Now that you posted that, it was simple to find your domain. Your MX servers (incoming mail servers) are mx01.1and1.com and mx00.1and1.com. Based on your post #6, mail to those MX servers is COPIED to both AOL mail servers and gmail's mail servers. Each of those servers has an independent copy of each mail that is received by 1and1.com. That means that mail deleted from AOL will not be deleted from Gmail until you do it manually.

On top of that, you have 171 MB of email stored at 1and1.com that you can pick up by going to their IMAP server. Probably all spam.

Dan
    P.S. I did mail for a living for 15 years or so. Funny how much you don't remember after the second drink of the evening.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

That is just about what I thought, but your explanation made it clearer. I have my WLM set up to delete emails from the server after 10 days, and I have a similar setup with Thunderbird on my Win10 machine. I have not used it for several months, but it seemed that I could get all recent emails loaded on it and my Win8 machine with WLM. I probably have multiple copies, on 1and1, AOL, gmail, and my computer(s). I don't think I'd lose any email if I switched to the IMAP protocol.

I find it convenient to get all my email in one place, using WLM, but that may require mail forwarding to one address that is specified in the client. It seems that I have some email stored on 1and1 for each of my domain names. I use the catch-all *@example.com so I do get some spam, but mostly I get two or three duplicates, mostly political sites always begging for money and participation in surveys (which always end up also begging for donations).

Thanks!

Good explanation Dan, Thanks.

For about 8 years I ran my own email server here in home office. I relayed my other email addresses to it.
    There were some disadvantages, the server had to run all the time, I had UPS battery problems.
    Had to pay for a static ip etc, and I had to make and maintain a big whitelist.
    I used dyndns to host the domain name.
    dyndns split up and encouraged its users to move to a commercial server so I closed it down in 2015 ,
    now I just use .comcastbiz.net