Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here use CAT50, ER32??

Default Does anyone here use CAT50, ER32??

Are these only used on big machines? I see they run $100 plus on Ebay. IS there any use for these in a small shop? I use a Brigeport.

I use ER32 and 40 on a BP. Cat 50 is not for BP.

It seems like cat50 is for higher HP requirements, sort of overkill for a 1 or 2 HP mill.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

I have a line on these if you have a need for them. One of the cleaing houses here got a load of them. He is selling them one or two at a time without much luck. Current bid for two is 1.10 US.
    https://bid.bclauction.com/cgi-bin/mmlist.cgi?bcl1/368

If there is a want I willing to help those that want them. I just don't know how. I am not looking to profit. I have gotten a lot from this site and just trying to give back.

Quote Originally Posted by outlawspeeder View Post
    Are these only used on big machines?
    They're only used on machines with 50 taper spindles--and, yes, they tend to be bigger...
    Keith

My Van Norman 22LU used NMTB 50 and it is 3hp.
    I use an adapter from NMTB 50 to ER40 so I can use up to 1" shank tools on it.
    I have NMTB 50 end mill holders for 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 and 2".
    I have gotten some cheap LARGE end mills of ebay, because no one wants the
    larger sizes.
    My boring mill is 4MT on the bar, and I have a 4MT to ER40 adapter for it, which is nice.
    For the main spindle of the boring mill, I made a bolt on adapter for TG200 collets,
    which take up to 2" shank tooling. It makes a super stiff connection for the larger end mills.
    Otherwise with a Bridgeport R-8, you are maxed out at a 7/8" end mill. Nice to have a
    7/8" x 3" long end mill for squaring the sides of taller work. My Gorton 9-J mill is #10 Brown
    and Sharpe taper, with a sleeve for R-8, so that is covered too.
    I thought of buying an adapter for R-8 to ER40, but I don't like the stickout. If I shimmed it
    to the spindle nose, it would make it more rigid, like it was one piece. Maybe some day.

--Doozer

If you are holding a Cat 40 in your hand and thinking that a Cat 50 is a little bigger you are in for a shock! They are huge compared to a Cat 40. Typically found on machines that are geared way down or have motors in excess of 30 hp.

Cat50 are huge compared to cat 40.

There might actually be enough meat in the cat taper portion of these to find a square, or hexagonal section for someone looking for an adventure.....cheap enough to find out. Just cost a bunch of grinding wheels and time...

Anybody got an EDM?

Worth it just for the nut.

No reason at all in my shop to need any of the CAT series. But I've got a set of ER32 collets. But that's all for now. I thought I knew what chucks I wanted to use with the collets but then I started changing my mind. I'd like some way to use them on my lathe. But that likely means making up a new extended screw on or MT5 setup that puts the collet chuck far enough out to use on my lathe. And I'd like a set of ER32 collet blocks similar to the 5C blocks. But after that I'm just not sure.

I use the ER32 collets all over the shop. I have 3 sets of collets and various holders with R8 shank for the mills, MT3 shank for the lathe tailstock, and 5C shank for the lathe spindle, collet blocks, spindex, tool & cutter grinder and other 5C accessories.