Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here use CAT50, ER32??

Ever see a NMTB 60 holder? You about need a crane to lift it.

-D

On a related topic, has anyone used ER20 with R8 shanks for CNCs? I'm looking for a faster way to change tooling with R8 shanks but keep/maintain tool offsets. So for example, if I have 4 different tools for a single CNC job, I would install each tool in a different ER20 R8 holder, and just swap them in/out as needed after I've saved each tool offset in the beginning.... Or is there a better way than with ER20 R8 collets?
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    On a related topic, has anyone used ER20 with R8 shanks for CNCs? I'm looking for a faster way to change tooling with R8 shanks but keep/maintain tool offsets. So for example, if I have 4 different tools for a single CNC job, I would install each tool in a different ER20 R8 holder, and just swap them in/out as needed after I've saved each tool offset in the beginning.... Or is there a better way than with ER20 R8 collets?
    I bought one from Banggood. Actually pretty nice bit of tooling considering the price and my intended use.

Your method will work just fine. Side lock holders would also work and might be better suited, depending on your work (I prefer sidelocks for 90% of my milling). IMO er collets of better suited for light duty milling and holding drills and reamers. This can get debated back and forth till the sun comes up, but that's just my opinion and experience. Lots of people have hauled away barrels of chips using er collets to hold endmills so.....

I use ER16, ER25, ER32, & ER40 with R8 shanks day in and day out. They work fine. You put each tool in a holder and leave them that way until the job is finished. When you do the next job, you set up different tools, each with it's own holder and do it all over again. This is in 2 full size R8 CNC mills.

The tools will stay exactly on length unless you overdo the forces that the collet can hold. For example, an endmill will gradually pull out with a heavy roughing cut. A drill bit will get pushed in by feeding too hard. The ER holders will be fine with probably 95% of all the work done. I don't use ER20 because I didn't find any of those when I was buying this stuff years ago. That is the only reason. Now I have enough various holders I don't need any more. I use the setscrew or sidelock holders, drill chucks, collets, or whatever is appropriate for what I'm asking that tool to do.

I have not found a better way, but this way works great. It is no different than having each tool in a CAT40 holder.
    Last edited by Toolguy; 10-11-2017 at 05:10 PM.

What about the Tormach system as an option? I also agree that your ER to R8 idea would work just fine. But if you're starting from scratch for this I'd want to look at the Tormach option and see what the cost is overall by the time you buy all the goodies you need.

I have seen the Tormach holders pull out fairly easy on a friend's small CNC mill. Maybe it's not set up right, I don't know. I do know I won't be using that system. Probably OK if you only do small, light duty cutting.

I think I'll go with a couple ER20 R8 holders and some ER20 collet sets. Most of the CNC work that I plan on doing will only require different 1/4" to 1/2" size end mills, ball mills, roughing mills, and drills. Anything bigger and I'll just re-measure the tool offset after installing it. I was mainly wondering about the ER20 collet strength. I assume it's close to what I might get with native R8 collets?
    www.metalillness.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    I bought one from Banggood. Actually pretty nice bit of tooling considering the price and my intended use.

Your method will work just fine. Side lock holders would also work and might be better suited, depending on your work (I prefer sidelocks for 90% of my milling). IMO er collets of better suited for light duty milling and holding drills and reamers. This can get debated back and forth till the sun comes up, but that's just my opinion and experience. Lots of people have hauled away barrels of chips using er collets to hold endmills so.....
    Thanks, I think you just saved me a couple hundred bucks!

I grabbed some ER20 R8 holders here https://www.banggood.com/R8-ER20-716...p-1096825.html

And some ER20 collet sets https://www.banggood.com/12Pcs-18-to...p-1191595.html
    www.metalillness.com

Quote Originally Posted by outlawspeeder View Post
    I have a line on these if you have a need for them. One of the cleaing houses here got a load of them. He is selling them one or two at a time without much luck. Current bid for two is 1.10 US.
    https://bid.bclauction.com/cgi-bin/mmlist.cgi?bcl1/368

If there is a want I willing to help those that want them. I just don't know how. I am not looking to profit. I have gotten a lot from this site and just trying to give back.
    I don't mean to be picky, but I would be very hesitant bidding on these items when the boxes say CAT50, ER32 but the item in the photo is a CAT40, ER16.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Thanks, I think you just saved me a couple hundred bucks!

I grabbed some ER20 R8 holders here https://www.banggood.com/R8-ER20-716...p-1096825.html

And some ER20 collet sets https://www.banggood.com/12Pcs-18-to...p-1191595.html
    In my experience of buying tools like this, I think you will find that these are quite serviceable and will probably be fine. It's a crapshoot, but I have had pretty good luck with the more recently manufactured Chinese tooling.