Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Gas dryer tripping GFCI

Smile OT: Gas dryer tripping GFCI

I have a GE propane gas dryer DSJR473GT3WW that I bought for less than $50 maybe 20 years ago, and it has been working well for all that time, on a "temporary" 20 pound gas bottle connection. I have the washer and the dryer plugged into a GFCI outlet. Last night, after washing some clothes, I put them in the dryer and turned the timer control to an appropriate setting. The GFCI immediately tripped. I tried several times, and then pulled the control panel to see what was wrong.

This is the timer switch with two wires removed that kept the GFCI from tripping:

Here is another view of the components and wiring:

My multimeter showed intermittent high resistance (>100k) on some of the connections to ground. It seemed like there was a problem with the neutral where the power cord came in at the bottom back corner. There is a single wiring harness with maybe 10 wires but it seemed to require major disassembly of the machine for access.

I decided to use my HiPot to check the insulation of the power wiring, but it was stored in a damp place and needed some cleaning.

When I plugged it into the GFCI, it also tripped, so I figured there might be problems inside:

It looked OK, although there was a lot of white powdery corrosion on the metal parts of a couple potentiometers. Then I tried plugging it into another GFCI and I was able to turn the test instrument on without tripping.

So, it seems I have a too-sensitive GFCI. Perhaps I can test it to see what current level trips it.

I wasn't able to find an exact schematic for the dryer, but here is the user manual:
    http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/hous...SR473GT3WW.pdf

GFCIs do go bad. You seem to have one such. Replace it and move on, as long as the test button on the new one trips it.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I've had several GFCIs go bad. One was outside and was not adequately sealed, so water got in. Another was inside, but in a damp area. This one is mounted on a rear wall below grade and also a damp location. I did buy one or two that are rated for damp locations. I think that's what I need to use.

Now I have the dryer running on the GFCI for the stove. I'll deal with replacing the touchy GFCI later.

Thanks.

you need a new GFCI and while your out, pick up some new test equipment. Is your VOM also analog (no pun intended)
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

An older dryer is a perfect component to trip a GFI, does it run for a bit at first then trip?

the combination of lint build up and high humidity can be enough of a connection to ground to trip one off,

if it works at first and then trips or if your new one trips also then this is where you probably should focus your efforts next.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    you need a new GFCI and while your out, pick up some new test equipment. Is your VOM also analog (no pun intended)
    That is probably a perfectly fine leakage tester. What do you think is wrong with it?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

yes, and don't trash analog VOM... Sometimes they are perfect for certain applications. I still have a couple among my array of digital gear.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    That is probably a perfectly fine leakage tester. What do you think is wrong with it?
    To name a small amount of issues... No vertical ranges, no min/max samples, no back-lit LCD/TFT digital display, no firmware upgrades available, no Network/USB/GPIB interfaces to automate control/measurements, no traceable NIST cal data.
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

To name a small amount of issues... No vertical ranges, no min/max samples, no back-lit LCD/TFT digital display, no firmware upgrades available, no Network/USB/GPIB interfaces to automate control/measurements, no traceable NIST cal data.
    And you need all that to find out why one of your household appliances isn't working?

I gotta agree with cameron unless you actually intended your post to be some amusing sarcasm. How did we ever get to where we have all these things without those things? Yep, we used regular analog tools to build the first digital tools.

Now I'm all in favor of the new world. I would never have paid the cost of a nice old CRT scope back in the day. And now I can buy a digital scope or a scope module that attaches to a PC or tablet for less than I pay for the wood to build a nice bench to put it onto. It's a wild and whacky world out there......