Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video-how to use a tape measure-H Depot

Default Video-how to use a tape measure-H Depot

Interesting article about the millennial generation's lack of skills.
    You might be tempted to think the video is some sort of joke -NO

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...measures-hamme

The video-

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ure+home+depot

urgh....

I'm really not looking forward to the next 20+ years I've got in this trade working with, as I call them "meme-lennials". Been getting a taste of it the last couple years, and it's....interesting. Couple good ones though, but for the most part it's everything you read about and more....

What generation is or isn't teaching the millennial generation?

There are plenty of folks in previous generations with no clue which end of the screwdriver to grab..... And they exist now as well. Probably offspring of parents who had no clue either.

The present generation is used to going online to find some video on how to do nearly anything. You could never do that before, so nobody did. There were brocures etc on hpw to do it.... Starrett put out ones on hoow to read a mic, maybe on how to use a tape, for all I know.

This is not to say the present generation is perfect, by any means. HAsn't been a perfect generation yet.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    There are plenty of folks in previous generations with no clue which end of the screwdriver to grab..
    I grab both.. Sometimes I'll grab the top if there is a straw, and other times the bottom.. Depends on what we're celebrating too..

When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

Several years ago he had to start asking people during interviews if they knew how many 1/8's, 16ths, 32nds and 64ths were in an inch and only about 1 in 25 could answer correctly. One guy went right through them, answering correctly until, just screwing around I asked "how many 124ths", he stopped for a moment then said "You got me on that one, I never got that high in school". We've also given them items to measure and have them write there answers down and then go over them after they leave. One answer I remember was 12 and 3 medium lines (correct answer of course was 12 3/8") A lot of our work is metric and most young people don't seem to even know what that is but I bet if I asked them to divide a kilo cocaine into 4 equal portions, they'd have it down to a fraction of a gram!

Quote Originally Posted by barracudajoe View Post
    I bet if I asked them to divide a kilo cocaine into 4 equal portions, they'd have it down to a fraction of a gram!
    If you're interviewing people that have experience dividing a kilo of coke, then I'm sure their salary requirements are off the charts for the position they are applying for
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

I remember old coots saying the same things about my generation back in '72.

Some of the finer points.. joist/stud spacing, tricks for measuring insides, why the tip/hook is loose..aren't necessarily obvious unless someone grew up framing, had a parent who knew/cared, etc.. not that the video mentioned covered any of that.

It's hard to drive nails with an iPhone app! Need I say more?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk