Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Gun Safe/Cabinets

Default OT: Gun Safe/Cabinets

Anyone have a large gun safe? I'm wondering how you divide it up for the rifles with and with-out scopes, and the hand guns, etc. ammo, etc.. I currently have a "small" 16-gun "safety cabinet" but it only really holds ~6 rifles due to 4 of them having scopes. I decided to get a larger Cannon CS5936 safe but won't be delivered for a few weeks. I'm wondering how others organize the larger ones
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

I bought a real safe 4400# 1-3/8" press welded drill & torch proof. I was going to build racks but beware the carpet where the barrel sets gasses off & causes the barrel blue to get thin or takes it off so I put each rifle in a silicone sock & just stack them in there, no bumps or bruises & I tag each sock.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by flylo View Post
    I bought a real safe 4400# 1-3/8" press welded drill & torch proof. I was going to build racks but beware the carpet where the barrel sets gasses off & causes the barrel blue to get thin or takes it off so I put each rifle in a silicone sock & just stack them in there, no bumps or bruises & I tag each sock.
    Got any pics? I wanna see what these things look like.
    www.metalillness.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Got any pics? I wanna see what these things look like.
    The safe or the guns?

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    The safe or the guns?
    The inside setup. The way the shelves and bump-outs for long-guns with scopes are setup/etc.

Pics of the contents inside are a bonus too!

I stopped going to the range once we started having kids (Just no time for all of the hobbies). Now that the kids are not as demanding on time I'm getting back into most of my hobbies and including my son who also has the same recreational interests in firearms as I do. Adding some 20ga shotguns for him so he can shoot trap with Dad and other youth type long-guns for the out-door range is requiring a complete re-think of the gun-cabinet and replacement with a gun-safe.
    www.metalillness.com

I'll be honest, these new gun safes are so easy to get into I'd just make a fortified closet or safe room as all a gun safe is going to keep out is hit & rum petty thieves. Use a good alarm system on it & use something like this http://www.stopthecrime.com I had a shop years ago & had one hooked to the alarm system & will guarantee when it went off if you were carrying a gold bar you'd drop it & run because all you want to do is get away so you can breath & see again, combine that with a high pitched siren & bright strobe & you're all set. If possible I'd make the door hidden or disguised or at least not look heavy duty.
    Last edited by flylo; 10-11-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by flylo View Post
    I'll be honest, these new gun safes are so easy to get into I'd just make a fortified closet or safe room as all a gun safe is going to keep out is hit & rum petty thieves. Use a good alarm system on it & use something like this http://www.stopthecrime.com I had a shop years ago & had one hooked to the alarm system & will guarantee when it went off if you were carrying a gold bar you'd drop it & run because all you want to do is get away so you can breath & see again, combine that with a high pitched siren & bright strobe & you're all set.
    Agreed but I don't really need anything more secure. I just need something big enough and secure enough to keep the kids out and possibly some thermal/protection to help keep the ammo safe if there was a fire/etc.
    www.metalillness.com

Why are they so easy to get into ???? I've noticed that almost all the brands use the same electronic key pad and spoke handle. I'm guessing they are all made by one mfg. and almost all the safe makers use them. So with that, as far as security they are all about the same. The only differences are the inside arrangements.

JL................

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    Why are they so easy to get into ???? I've noticed that almost all the brands use the same electronic key pad and spoke handle. I'm guessing they are all made by one mfg. and almost all the safe makers use them. So with that, as far as security they are all about the same. The only differences are the inside arrangements.

JL................
    You can get inside all of those safes in ~15 minutes with an angle grinder through the side walls. They all are just thin gauge steel. If it was heavy gauge steel, it would just take longer (~30 mins?)
    www.metalillness.com

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post

JL................
    The ease of access through a locked door is rarely ever the quality of lock on the door.

Sometimes it is the size of glass in the door - or the quality of hinges that allow the door to swing.

In the case of safes, often it is the thickness of the box walls - especially on the back or bottom. Don't open the lock to get inside - just get inside.