Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: OT: Gun Safe/Cabinets

Old farmers used to keep cash in pipes in the basement that looked useful but popped out easily. Hidden in plain site is the best way. As my friend who died from the UP always said, if you're going to do something not quite right don't sneak around do it in broad daylight just like it was legit. He was known to "harvest" aka poach deer for folks in need. Before they had doe permits he shot a big doe, screwed a nice rack to it's head & hung it high in the tree by his house while he was blasting beaver ponds for the DNR & his son was dating the DNR officer's daughter. I was there when he told my friend nice buck Mike.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

A friend has the nicest "safe" I've seen. Actually a vault or safe room. His garage is lower than the first floor so has a cinder block wall along the front. He put another wall in front of it and now has a gun room that is 5'x12' with a safe door set into the concrete. Yeah, you could get into it but the cops would be on you before you saw the other side and it is sooooo much nicer to not have to try to slip nice rifles in and out of a crowded safe or two or three. Racks line the room all around the base and special ones hang on adjustable hooks on the wall above.
    I'm not so lucky and use the 10 and 14 gun Stackon sheet metal boxes. They're bolted to the frame work our of sight, and are only there to keep young fingers off the hardware. I don't have anything that isn't replaceable. No safe is impenetrable, (as shown) so why pay a mint to gain ten extra minutes of ownership should the bad guys show up? I usually alternate muzzle up/down to keep the bolt handle from digging into its neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by flylo View Post
    Old farmers used to keep cash in pipes in the basement that looked useful but popped out easily. Hidden in plain site is the best way.
    That's a terrible idea because if you forget where you hid the money then you'll never find it again if it's hidden in plain site.
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Addy View Post
    The video in post #17 says it all: no safe is "safe".

If you're paranoid about the bad guys getting your stuff, you got to be creative about hiding it. Get a cheap safe and put your cheap replaceable (inoperable) weapons in it. Mod a deep closet by putting a false back in it and keep the good stuff there. My dad kept his firearms behind the hardwood lumber. He had six or seven at any one time and therefore took little room. Or some other dodge - a phony heat plenum in the utility room. A fake water heater.

Divert some of the energy used to scare yourself to finding novel places and ways of concealment. Give the bad guys something sparkly to find after a little effort so they'll think they committed a successful burglary. Meanwhile, the true valuables are ingeniously concealed in plain sight where they'd never think to look - like under the false bottom of a disused chest freezer in the garage. Clutter the freezer top convincingly - a laundry basket of old clothes and two cans of paint - and it should probably stink if opened. Easy access, excellent concealment, entirely mundane, and easily overlooked

BTW. If you want to keep a secret, never reveal there is a secret to anyone in the first place. Got buddies coming over to talk guns? Transfer them to the cheap safe before they arrive.
    Best advice I have seen so far. I leave my junk/low value guns out in the open(sort of) and keep the others hidden. My best friends do not know what I have. One is ex navy and said this to me once -The navy had a "Need to know" policy, telling only those who need to know and that is only my wife. People tell me amazing stuff, what they have and where it is. I really don't want to know. If it turns up missing I don't want to be on the know where it is list.

Imho gun safes and safes are of limited value and I own both. To me well hidden is better. Violent home break in's happen, better to be forced to open a gun safe that has very little in it. My 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    Best advice I have seen so far. I leave my junk/low value guns out in the open(sort of) and keep the others hidden. My best friends do not know what I have. One is ex navy and said this to me once -The navy had a "Need to know" policy, telling only those who need to know and that is only my wife. People tell me amazing stuff, what they have and where it is. I really don't want to know. If it turns up missing I don't want to be on the know where it is list.

Imho gun safes and safes are of limited value and I own both. To me well hidden is better. Violent home break in's happen, better to be forced to open a gun safe that has very little in it. My 2 cents...
    Makes you wonder about all the guys on the gun forums who post endless pics of their collections. I'd be curious to know whether there is a higher burglary rate among high volume posters - kind of like the people who tell everyone on Facebook when they are in Maui and come home to find everything gone.

I had a supervisor in one of my first factory jobs tell me that locks only keep the honest people out and I am inclined to agree with him. But the vast majority of people are fairly honest if they are not being tempted by easy pickings. At least a safe slows a thief down.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    That's a terrible idea because if you forget where you hid the money then you'll never find it again if it's hidden in plain site.
    I agree! Hell I have enough trouble keeping track of things I only used a moment ago and set down to do something else..... I see a lot of heads out there nodding in agreement....

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I agree! Hell I have enough trouble keeping track of things I only used a moment ago and set down to do something else..... I see a lot of heads out there nodding in agreement....
    No, we all agreed that someone is grabbing our stuff once we put it down... Once we find the bastard that keeps taking and hiding out stuff we're going to get even.
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

But when you find it it like getting a smoken tool deal AKA free, my favorite 4 letter word.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Two responses - the first to the OP: The only reason I would purchase a "gun" safe would be for its fire protection function, and then, only if I had "collectable" guns. Since I don't (have collectables), I rely on a "listed collection" rider on our standard insurance policy.

Next, totally Off Topic, in response to flylo -

Quote Originally Posted by flylo View Post
    As my friend who died from the UP always said, if you're going to do something not quite right don't sneak around do it in broad daylight just like it was legit.
    Years (and years) ago, my Grandmother was in the hospital for a spider bite of all things. My brother (4 years older) was working for Motorola Service Corp. He picked me up from school still in his work clothes. When we got to the hospital, he said "Watch this", handed me a spectrum analyzer, and told me to keep my mouth shut. We walked right past the security guard and called the "Staff Only" elevator. He proceeded to take us up to the roof of the hospital were we could look out over the whole city. Going back down, on the way to our Grandmother's room he told me "If you look like you belong and act like you have a reason to be there, nobody will question you."

PS to flylo: How did the Union Pacific cause your friend's death?
    Kevin

More tools than sense.