Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am lucky to be alive today

Default I am lucky to be alive today

Trying to move the Covell grinder by myself. No one else home and won't be til this evening.

Evidently, I or someone cranked the table to the far forward position since I last rigged it. Different center of gravity than before.
    I was squatted in front to pull a block and it came over on me. Pinned a knee and took off my shirt and bib overall. Took a big patch of skin off my chest.
    Don't know how it didn't crush my knee and don't know how I got it wiggled out of there.

I am upright and walking but come tomorrow I think my knee is going to remind me how old I am.
    I going to have some outstanding bruises. Still shaking after two hours.

Got the grinder back upright and no damage that I can find. Go figure.

I been reminding myself how stupid I can be. But you guys can chime right in and tell me some more.

**** happens, we all prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We all have done stupid things and will continue to do so. Learn from it and move on. As for still shaking. Take a breather and a cup of black coffee or tea and reflect. Nothing worse than letting this kind of situation get the best of you. Stay safe and be well.
    12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
    Logan 825 - work in progress
    My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
    Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

My wife is disabled, so when I'm in the shop, I have my cell phone turned on. I was cutting a sheet of 3/4" HDPE on the table saw. Phone rings. I automatically reach for it, since she only calls if she needs me. BANG! The sheet kicks back and 1) sends a chunk through the base of the band saw on the opposite end of the shop, 2) takes a hunk out of the blade insert, 3) puts a twist in the splitter, and 4) ruins a $90 Freud plastics blade. I, too, shook for a couple of hours. Now, I shut down whatever I'm working on before I reach for the phone.
    Kevin

More tools than sense.

Doing some DIY, battery powered skil saw. Wife called me for lunch, I turned and absently put my spare hand under the work - right onto the blade. 3 days in hospital and I have most use of my fingers but the little finger doesn't feel much any more and goes purple as soon as it starts getting cold.

It's easily done. Glad you got out of it alive, if not with all your skin intact.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

1-800Miner--Glad you survived it with just a scare and bruises. ---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

On the bright side, it's always nice to find out you still got strong bones, keep eating your broccoli

glad your ok dude.

Just learn from it and count yourself as lucky that it'll only be a few days (or weeks at "our" age ) of healing and not something permanent.

I've got my own stupid story. Let's just say that I'm highly lucky that I've still got all eight fingers and two thumbs to type with. Being officially known as "stumpy" was only avoided by a couple of milliseconds.

I thought maybe it had something to do with the wildfires (or mudslides or a chunk of El Capitan or whatever else is going on). Glad you're OK!

You'll be sore but glad your OK. Now when I fall I can't get up unless I have help or something to get hold of. I fell in the drive & one our german shepards thought it was great dad was down on her level. Everytime I moved she pounced right on top. Finally found my cell but was down there 1/2 hour.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

You’re stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro