Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am lucky to be alive today

I believe mild mannered Paul just threw down the gauntlet,

from now on when I feel like wimpering or whining I will just go to my room and sit in the corner,,,

your a class act Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-800miner View Post
    Trying to move the Covell grinder by myself. No one else home and won't be til this evening.

Evidently, I or someone cranked the table to the far forward position since I last rigged it. Different center of gravity than before.
    I was squatted in front to pull a block and it came over on me. Pinned a knee and took off my shirt and bib overall. Took a big patch of skin off my chest.
    Don't know how it didn't crush my knee and don't know how I got it wiggled out of there.

I am upright and walking but come tomorrow I think my knee is going to remind me how old I am.
    I going to have some outstanding bruises. Still shaking after two hours.

Got the grinder back upright and no damage that I can find. Go figure.

I been reminding myself how stupid I can be. But you guys can chime right in and tell me some more.

Glad you came out OK miner! ...and thanks for the reminder!! I spend a LOT of time in my shop alone and often wonder about getting wrapped up in the lathe or mill.....too easy to get complacent.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    The smarter I get, the more I realize how dumb I am....
    Likewise, the more experience I get in Aviation, and the higher I advance, the more I realize I donít know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glad to hear your injuries were not too serious. All that happened is you were given a stern reminder of something you should have been aware
    of anyway. Lesson learned and nothing to worry about ................. until you find yourself routinely making remarks of this caliper:

Oh. And how is 'education' supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something
    new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course
    and I forgot how to drive?

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Likewise, the more experience I get in Aviation, and the higher I advance, the more I realize I don’t know.
    Yea, we learn more from doing dumb things.. Problem with aviation though is you can only take dumb so far before someone else gets hurt so you're kind of limited to how fast you can learn.

I on the other hand can take dumb to extreme gross levels and reap the benefits of being exceptionally extra dumb beyond what you think is possible dumb wise.
    When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

Quote Originally Posted by dave_r View Post
    ... another doctor comes over, and just outside the enclosure I'm in, she is talking to another doctor about how excited she is to be getting to do surgery on her first back...
    I would not take any comfort in being a surgeon's first case. Being case #5000 is much better.

To 1 (if I may be so bold as to use your first name :-), glad you're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Couple of weeks ago I was cleaning up my garage. It was like a full week worth of time. I never felt anything bad happen but I was lifting lots of things during the clean up. After around 5 days of cleaning up, my lower back started to hurt. It hurt the most when I was lying flat in bed. Lots of back pain. Couldn't really do anything for the next 3-4 days. Then got better and better and after a few more days the pain was gone. No idea what I did to cause the pain but it never happened before. Now I think twice about lifting heavy things that I could move using other methods...
    If it went away that easily it's more likely you simply strained the back muscles by over doing it. This is particularly the case if the pain and the worst of the tightness was located slightly to one side of the spine. Been there, walked bent over for a few days and finally managed to put on the shirt to prove it more than a few times during my life.

If it's a muscle thing then hanging over and trying to reach your toes will actually ease the pain and tightness for a short while. Also things like Robaxicet will get you almost back to normal and cut down the recovery time by relaxing the muscles so the swelling can go down. But if it's actually spine related bending over like that will quickly tell you that it's the wrong thing to do and the muscle relaxants won't do much if anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    I believe mild mannered Paul just threw down the gauntlet,

from now on when I feel like wimpering or whining I will just go to my room and sit in the corner,,,

your a class act Paul.
    I agree. Paul wins hands down....

Mind you at a model contest a bunch of us old farts started talking about operations and how long their scars were. I was the "youngest" present and I won. Not really the sort of thing that I prefer to win at....

Quote Originally Posted by fjk View Post
    I would not take any comfort in being a surgeon's first case. Being case #5000 is much better.

So true! When I was 49 & in the best shape of my life, could bench 400#, leg press 650#, ride a century any day I choose. Power Co-Op we had a verbal agreement with cut the 2 trees we all agreed they wouldn't as they were there when the house was built in the 1880s. They left 3'-4' rounds of wood, had to get it out of the yard & was lifting & rolling to the splitter when something happened, I felt it but not sure if I stepped in a hole or what so I quit & next day went to a chiropractor who X rayed it & said I had to see a neurosurgeon. Had to wait over 2 months to see a new one best of class
    at Harvard who couldn't see anything & wanted a new MRI from Borgess. The 1st one I got was rifgt on & read correctly stating no stenosis bur 3 external & 1 internal heriation. So she added another month & still didn't see anything. I tried the shots & several other things then went to a surgeon in Elkhart. His assistant was setting up the room & plugged in the MRI & said your left sides worse isn't it? I said how do you know that , he said it's here plain as day. After surgery had dropfoot, after wearing a bone growth stimulator 8 hrs a day in a recliner & using a walker had to re learn how to walk. It's gone downhill till now I can only walk or stand 20 minutes a day. One slip totally changed my life so don't take a minute for granted & do what you want now. About all I can do is target shoot & build target rifles. I tell young people to buy long term disability insurance & never miss a chance to have fun.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by fjk View Post
    That's actually his initial - his friends all call him 800. Like J Edgar Hoover. I'm glad he's ok as well.

My most spectacular stupid was when cutting and laying fibreglass insulation in my loft, and carrying on when I was tired. Stepped between the joists and landed in the room below, without a scratch (fortunately, as I lived on my own). Found my way to the light switch, turned on the light and realised that I still had the 10" carving knife in my hand...

George