Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT:ish Different kind of shopping and sightseeing in Thailand (picture heavy)

Default OT:ish Different kind of shopping and sightseeing in Thailand (picture heavy)

Shopping in BKK Chinatown:

Need a lathe tool?

Or a insert:

Full-size pics can be found here if someone wants to really peek in the details:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/lFEFH

And then the humbling trip to truly master craftsmen doing wood carvings:

Insanely detailed and complicated carving. Sign tells that it took 9 months for 2 "veteran craftsman" to make this. All those details are carved out of solid slab of Teak:

More details:

Another one in process:

That big piece of teak slab alone would be worth a small fortune!

Thanks for that.. intersting

Heck man, we want to see pictures of the stuff you brought back! Is the tooling marked with prices or do they charge by how you look?

That is truly amazing craftsmanship. I have trouble signing my name the same way twice in a row. My artistic talents extend to stick figures on a napkin so I can't imagine attempting something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    Heck man, we want to see pictures of the stuff you brought back! Is the tooling marked with prices or do they charge by how you look?

That is truly amazing craftsmanship. I have trouble signing my name the same way twice in a row. My artistic talents extend to stick figures on a napkin so I can't imagine attempting something like that.
    I didn't buy much anything other than 1 set of wood carving chisels for my father. Our bags are always over the limits even without 20lbs of extra lathe tools.
    Tools were about same price range what can be found from Aliexpress for example. (very cheap)

Even if I saw it with my own eyes its still hard to believe that most if not all of those details are carved out of solid slab of teak and not glued together from thousands of pieces!

And Furniture shop had SOLID wood tables:

Based on quick estimate the tabletop was about 1.5 cubic meters and ~1.4 metric tons (3000lbs)
    Didn't have prices on display and I fiqured I don't need to ask... thousands to tens of thousands dollars probably.
    Last edited by MattiJ; 11-11-2017 at 10:44 AM.

The carvings are absolutely astounding!
    Len

Amazing amount of tooling on display, wish we had local markets like that here in the tool desert.

I must say though that the wood carvings are absolutely astounding. The time and talent involved in those pieces of artwork is incredible.
    Just wondering what some of the prices would be for something like that?

Thanks for taking the time to share those with us.
    Home
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I must say though that the wood carvings are absolutely astounding. The time and talent involved in those pieces of artwork is incredible.
    Just wondering what some of the prices would be for something like that?
    They didn't have prices on display and I didn't need to ask.

Around 10 grand for half sized and what look like maybe as not as intrigue in detail according to this website that I just managed to find:
    https://www.vvg-vietnam.com/wood_sculpture.htm

Was the tooling at a machinery dealer or at some kind of flea market? Quite a lot of volume there.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Quote Originally Posted by bborr01 View Post
    Was the tooling at a machinery dealer or at some kind of flea market? Quite a lot of volume there.

Brian
    Whole chinatown in Bangkok is strange&wonderful mixup of flea market and machinery dealers. In daytime you can see huge 10hp compressors in the middle of the street for sale but for every night they are packed inside the shops along the road.
    Old machining shops are also interesting to see, they open up the storefront for daytime and you can almost accidentally bump to a old lathe or guy running Sunnen hone.

It would be a paradise (nightmare) for home shop guy. Anything from used ball bearings to second hand CNC machinery parts. Ballscrews, linear quides, you name it.
    Guys rewinding tabletop fan motors.. too many things to see.