Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fusion360 Question: Moving a Sketch Element

Hello Paul,

Try watching this You Tube video on lofting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJLXlg2Cn6Q

It may help with the idea of creating an offset plane and simple loft- its only 1.35 mins. long.

After watching this remember that you can project the geometry from the first plane/sketch onto the second offset plane/sketch rather than having to re-draw.

Ian.

DO you want a part that changes size/shape as it goes? If not, then a simple extrusion should work just as well. Same for the base.

Yes, a lot of the time you DO use the surface of a pert as the next plane. It works well because the surface is still there if you change the length, as mentioned above.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

My last idea seems to have worked. I used some temporary cylinders off to the side to allow me to designate the sketching planes I needed. I had to draw the hole outline three times, once on the X-Z plane, once on a plane that was 0.5" above it, and a third time on a plane that was 0.6" above the X-Z. Then I used the Offset to make the actual outlines I needed on those planes and erasing the unwanted ones.

The Loft worked on my first try and so did the the extrude for the hole. Here it is, with properly rounded edges:

One thing that I am a little concerned about was I got warnings when I deleted those temporary cylinders. They said that other features were dependent on them. But all seems to be OK after deleting them. Time will tell.

I am still going to read the above responses again, and probably again and again. Thanks once more.

I will probably have more questions on the way to actually printing it, but the printer has not arrived yet so no rush on that.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

OK, Offset Plane, I see that now. No temporary cylinders.

But what is that about "projecting" from the first plane? Do you just mean draw (trace) over it, because that is what I did? Or is there a command to do it? If so, where?

Quote Originally Posted by IanPendle View Post
    Hello Paul,

Try watching this You Tube video on lofting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJLXlg2Cn6Q

It may help with the idea of creating an offset plane and simple loft- its only 1.35 mins. long.

After watching this remember that you can project the geometry from the first plane/sketch onto the second offset plane/sketch rather than having to re-draw.

Ian.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.

Ok.... I see the deal now.

Yes, I would have done similar..... Lofted outer shape, then extrude cut the inside. And, if it were a molded part, "shelled" from the bottom to get a consistent wall thickness.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Hello Paul,

I don't have access to Fusion right now but it is a command/button that used to reside on the Sketch section of the Model toolbar IIRC (its icon isa cube with a plane hovering over it). It's also possible that when your are sketching, a right click will bring up another way to access it (not 100% sure) - I'm really an Inventor guy.

Ian
    Last edited by IanPendle; 11-14-2017 at 02:43 AM.

Here's a little video of your part:
    <iframe width="640" height="650" src="https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/Timeline/e05a4eba-0126-4649-8a57-f2012437cb96" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen></iframe>

The shape will be simple to 3d print after you get the printer calibrated.

Embedding doesn't seem to work Here's the link: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/commu...7-f2012437cb96

Still not sure why you are using loft? This looks to be a straight extrude operation with a taper angle. Advantage is that it only requires one sketch (the base outline), and no offset planes.

Now, as you're finding out, there are more than one way to do most things. To go back to your original concept (except using extrude, not loft), you can do it with both outlines on the XY plane (only two outlines , not three). But this is much more confusing though in my opinion.

Draw your base outline
    Offset to get your hole outline
    (No need for a top outline)
    Extrude the base your .5" with a -15 to -20 taper angle (the taper angle parameter wont show up until you select a profile)
    you will need to select BOTH of the profiles so it extrudes a solid rather than a "tube" like your first one
    now call the extrude command again, select the hole profile on the XY plane (if the sketches are not visible, click the light bulb next to sketches in the browser)
    on the dialog box, in the "start" entry, select "from object", then select the top of the part
    in the "extent" entry, select distance, then enter a distance (negative will make it a cut)
    And there ya go...done with one sketch and two extrudes

[QUOTE=Paul Alciatore;1144069]My last idea seems to have worked. I used some temporary cylinders off to the side to allow me to designate the sketching planes I needed. I had to draw the hole outline three times, once on the X-Z plane, once on a plane that was 0.5" above it, and a third time on a plane that was 0.6" above the X-Z. Then I used the Offset to make the actual outlines I needed on those planes and erasing the unwanted ones.

The Loft worked on my first try and so did the the extrude for the hole. Here it is, with properly rounded edges:
    Last edited by rubes; 11-14-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Loft makes sense to me, as you can do it all with dimensions. Easier to change if you want to.

Using taper angle you need to figure out all the angles. Or cut and try. Seems like more hassle.

Nūmber of sketches is not always a problem if they make it easier.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Why did I use Loft and not Extrude with an angle? I think I did say I am a complete beginner at this. I just did not know that I could do that. But then I would have to do the math to find that angle first.

I will try that in my next session.

My first photo was just a dead end attempt. I showed it to give some, however poor, idea of what I was trying to do and to show the three outlines.

My biggest problem with the Loft command was that I was making too many choices - too many constraints. I need to learn not to fill in all the blanks.

[QUOTE=rubes;1144117]Still not sure why you are using loft? This looks to be a straight extrude operation with a taper angle. Advantage is that it only requires one sketch (the base outline), and no offset planes.

Now, as you're finding out, there are more than one way to do most things. To go back to your original concept (except using extrude, not loft), you can do it with both outlines on the XY plane (only two outlines , not three). But this is much more confusing though in my opinion.

Draw your base outline
    Offset to get your hole outline
    (No need for a top outline)
    Extrude the base your .5" with a -15 to -20 taper angle (the taper angle parameter wont show up until you select a profile)
    you will need to select BOTH of the profiles so it extrudes a solid rather than a "tube" like your first one
    now call the extrude command again, select the hole profile on the XY plane (if the sketches are not visible, click the light bulb next to sketches in the browser)
    on the dialog box, in the "start" entry, select "from object", then select the top of the part
    in the "extent" entry, select distance, then enter a distance (negative will make it a cut)
    And there ya go...done with one sketch and two extrudes

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    My last idea seems to have worked. I used some temporary cylinders off to the side to allow me to designate the sketching planes I needed. I had to draw the hole outline three times, once on the X-Z plane, once on a plane that was 0.5" above it, and a third time on a plane that was 0.6" above the X-Z. Then I used the Offset to make the actual outlines I needed on those planes and erasing the unwanted ones.

Paul A.

Make it fit.