Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dremel Tool Arbor Thread size? Replacement Screws?

Default Dremel Tool Arbor Thread size? Replacement Screws?

If you have a Dremel tool, you may have either broken or lost the miniature screw that holds cutting discs onto the standard 1/8" Dremel arbors. I tried measuring one but neither my US or Metric thread gauges have threads anywhere near that fine.

I have 4 or 5 of the arbors in a drawer that are without the little screw. If they fall on the floor, you could get lucky and possibly find it. I have a poor batting average when I drop something that small.

If anyone knows the thread or a source for the screws, please advise. AFAIK, Dremel does not sell these separately. They only come with a new arbor and I have several of those.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by GNM109; 11-13-2017 at 03:27 PM.

My collection of arbors and sanding drums are all different. Some are slotted pan head, cheese head or pan head Phillips. I just count those items as expendables. I sure wouldn't spend time searching for screws then pay $5-$10 shipping for them. Throw them in the trash and get new arbors.

Next time, don't be such a "clumsy bastard".

i have no idea what size they are. Im thinking metric but not sure. have you tried an M2 in it? I wreck the screws also because i find if i dont tighten the screw enough, the disc slips a little and will eventually cut the screw, and if its over tightened, the disc shatters or will break easier when cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons_fire View Post
    i have no idea what size they are. Im thinking metric but not sure. have you tried an M2 in it? I wreck the screws also because i find if i dont tighten the screw enough, the disc slips a little and will eventually cut the screw, and if its over tightened, the disc shatters or will break easier when cutting.
    They are no more than 1mm and almost certainly metric. I'll keep looking. LOL

might be worth making your own using a readily availably screw size (2-56?). It'll take longer to set up the lathe than it will to make it

Measuring four arbors I've got one of the four is most certainly a 2-56 screw. But the others all appear to be #1-64. Measured sizes were .069, .071, .073 and .082. The .082 is the 2-56 which was confirmed by threading the screw into a 2-56 nut. Just a note to say that the last one I believe came in a cheap-o set and has always had a stone wheel on it. So the STANDARD would seem to be #1 screw size.

And while I can't find it just now I recall having a really old Dremel arbor that I'm pretty sure was a #1-72 thread.

In any event checking a couple of diamond saw discs shows that a .081 drill will "just" fit. But the abrasive discs and sanding discs will only take a .078. The .081 feels like with a twist or two it could easily enough "crunch" it's way through the abrasive disc though. But even so .081 won't take a #2 screw unless the threads were to be topped off to drop the OD down to fit.
    Last edited by BCRider; 11-13-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Measuring four arbors I've got one of the four is most certainly a 2-56 screw. But the others all appear to be #1-64.

And while I can't find it just now I recall having a really old Dremel arbor that I'm pretty sure was a #1-72 thread.

In any event checking a couple of diamond saw discs shows that a .081 drill will "just" fit. But the abrasive discs and sanding discs will only take a .078. The .081 feels like with a twist or two it could easily enough "crunch" it's way through the abrasive disc though. But even so .081 won't take a #2 screw unless the threads were to be topped off to drop the OD down to fit.
    Yes, I've measured them in the past, although I don't recall the size. I have some taps in that range but I could never get them to fit.

The mystery continues.

Got a model shop near you?
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO View Post
    Got a model shop near you?
    No. The ones I used to patronize went out of business.

A US seller on eBay has 5 of the arbors with screws for $8.95 and he states that they are a "1/16th inch screw". They are something close to a 1/16th" I guess but who knows?

It may be a moot point however, since I looked on eBay and a Chinese seller has them in a package of ten with the arbors for $1.96 with free shipping! I may just order them and forget about it. LOL.

For that much? Buy three packs of them and get on with your life.... As has been said it's not worth worrying about the ones with no screws.