Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advise with a Big problem ???

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    " I am retired Sgt from this police dept. so now I know his name I did a record check & found he did time for mob activities.",..... I'd say misuse of (former) Police powers.

How did someone get into you closed shop unnoticed? No alarm? How would a thief know to put things back where they belonged. Time to use your insurance policy unless an theft investigation proves otherwise.
    I think its more likely somebody in the shop scrapped it because it had been sitting there so long. It may have been a legitimate mistake, or it may have walked off, but scrapping is most likely. If an employee they are not likely to admit it if it was a mistake, because they will be afraid it will get them fired. If it was misappropriation they likely won't admit it for fear of losing their job and a criminal charge. Even if it was misappropriated (as scrap) it might not have been intended as theft. Most shops don't seem to mind if employees take a few pieces off the scrap pile for their own projects.

Yes, definitely misuse of police powers... More accurately "misappropriation of police resources," because a criminal background check can be done legally at the cost of the party who benefits if there is legitimate cause. It can be as simple a cause as having decided to hire somebody or background in the case of a civil lawsuit.

Mob ties however is not even an inditment much less a conviction. I know people who are or were members of 1% motorcycle clubs. I know people who have trafficked in illegal goods. Some of that may have been "organized." I even know a person or two I suspect had people killed. An ex-cop who wanted to cover his own ass might accuse me of "MOB" ties. That might backfire as I spent 23 years as a licensed contractor doing a lot of security work including for some very large companies. I just know a lot of people. I am sure my name has come up in investigations of some of them. That is a red herring.

In my opinion as somebody who has literally been in business my entire life and who has had and been responsible for employees for a large time period... unless you can prove you or your employees are not at fault then you are on the hook for it. It was in your possession and you can't account for how it was disposed of. I know that sucks, but that's what it will boil down to.

Add on this: You know the customer knows people now. Whether he really has mob ties or he just knows a lot of people he obviously knows people. Do you really want him telling a few of his friends that your shop is unreliable? Its just bad business not to own up and take care of the problem.

Then reevaluate the shop operations so it never happens again.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 11-14-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Agree with Bob's comments. I would suspect an employee made the part disappear before believing my customer was trying a bizarre fraud play.

Do you really want to pi$$ off a guy who may have mob ties?

Bottom line, part was in your care and you cannot account for its whereabouts today. Man up and make the customer whole.

OP didn't mention whether the part was fixed and waiting to be picked up or if it was just sitting there in the same condition as when it came in. If the latter I would believe an employee would think it was junk that no one would miss.

big job, how far away do you live from Brian Rupnow? He builds a lot of things out of brass and bronze! You might just go have a look in his stock pile. He has a yellow roadster so he must be a member of a gang, right? Just sayin!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

It can be difficult to know what to do. In my case I had a quite rare and very desirable bonnet ornament replated by a local electroplater but when I went to collect the owner of the shop said they had lost it and offered to pay. I said if he had lost it he should search for it and went away returning the next day and for several days afterwards. Eventually they 'found' it where it had 'dropped off the back of a bench', however I could see where someone had screwed on mounting nuts after it was plated. Hmmmm...

My suggestion is to thoroughly search for the missing item and have your staff search too. You never know it might just be in a 'safe place', if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 11-14-2017 at 03:50 PM.

I'd find the boat it came from & see if it was installed. If not registered to him go see the marinas as they'll know who had a boat needing this fixed. He may have gotten tired of waiting & picked it up or had someone pick it up & if not fixed had someone else fix it. Someone that works in the shop knows what happened to it. I also like the idea of no ticky no laundry.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    big job, how far away do you live from Brian Rupnow? He has a yellow roadster so he must be a member of a gang, right? Just sayin!
    A gang?
    No, a hot-rod roadster is a sure sign of a bootlegger.

I take it you don't have any security cameras.

JL....................

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    I take it you don't have any security cameras.

JL....................
    Most places don't have more than about 30 days video storage. Some have much less. A fair number have as much as 60. A very few backlog as much as six months, but its pretty darn rare. Yes some facilities I have worked on backlog as much as two years, but those are extremely rare. I doubt a working shop is likely to save more than 60 days. Certainly not 7 months.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    A gang?
    No, a hot-rod roadster is a sure sign of a bootlegger.
    In Canada it's a half-ton, not a roadster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkXTBoWTqxU