Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Model Compressor---Maybe

Default Model Compressor---Maybe

As many of you know, I am always looking for some novel piece of equipment I can build to run with my model engines. Nothing overly elaborate, but not something as simple as a Ferris wheel. It has to be something with good visuals. Whatever it is has to be visible as working within a three minute window, as that is about the limit of time people will devote to an on-line video. Last night as I was trying to go to sleep, I thought about a machine that blows up a balloon. Great visuals, color of my choice, and fun. It would have to be a piston style compressor with a fairly large displacement. (To fit into the 3 minute time window.) I'll have to think on that one a bit.
    Brian Rupnow

Reed valves of course.

You can run it with your steam engine which will be running on the compressed air.

How about a Quorn tool and cutter grinder? It's useful, it's pretty as heck, and I want to make one so having your step by step instructions would be handy as heck.

Last edited by Dan_the_Chemist; 11-27-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bain View Post
    Reed valves of course.
    and a V-twin - of course

How about a vane pump that pumps water to the top of a log flume ride Or the falling water could spin a turbine or water wheel that runs a generator to light up a Christmas tree.

I'm not a good enough machinist to make a Quorn. I was thinking poppet valves with a ball bearing setting in a cone. Erich--I have a book about "Logging in Algonquin Park", a large reserve in north central Ontario. They made use of a log flume to get logs from the interior to the nearest navigable waterway. It looked like it would be so much fun to ride it that one of the young lumberjacks jumped on a log for a ride---and was never seen again!!! That park is about 50 miles north of where I grew up.
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    and a V-twin - of course
    Boring. Build a pump with opposed cylinder like; http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/381678...-1/s-l1000.jpg
    or: https://gasketstogo.files.wordpress....97c97905_b.jpg

I want to build a jaw crusher for broken egg shells. SHMBO saves them for garden fertilizer or something.
    There is always a bowl full of the dam things on the counter waiting to be crushed.
    So cancel the compressor and start thinking jaw crusher.

What about a music machine? I'm sure you probably have seen this video. You could make a simple one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q

I'd pay good money to see one of Brian's engines running a Quorn in his shop... .

To keep it "honest" the compressor would need to be a separate item from the engine and connected with a chain or agricultural flat style belt. Otherwise I suspect that too many folks would just assume it's a trick.

Or you could always feed the exhaust into a container which stores the pressure and in the exhaust line from that container stuff a potato plug in the exhaust and take online bets on how many seconds before it goes PTEWIE!