Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Model Compressor---Maybe

SUCCESS!!!! Today I finished the second set of valves on the model compressor so it would be double acting and proceeded to make a video of it blowing up a balloon and bursting it. I used my Rockerblock engine this time, because it has a slightly larger pulley on it than my overhead cam engine. In the first video, the balloon got bigger, and bigger, and bigger but refused to pop, and I figured anybody watching might go to sleep before it burst, so the first video link is a technical fail.--Second time around, I set up the tripod for my digital camera, put a new balloon in place, opened my office door so I wouldn't gas myself, and started the engine and then got out of the way and let it run. Great success with the second video!! You can see that I was able to use an o-ring drive belt and avoid buying a costly timing belt drive set-up or using a sprocket and chain that would have been to big for the job. You will see however that it's right on the ragged edge--the pulley actually stops and the belt drive slips momentarily during each revolution.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_iqt3ecAZc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTBajAJrRnU
    Brian Rupnow

This is something really neat to see--Engine, running compressor, running steam engine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ANwIiTTAg
    Brian Rupnow

That is fantastic!

...and almost a perpetual motion machine too

Congratulations.

Great entertainment for a Friday morning. Sitting here drinking a coffee and watching you pop a balloon.
    Another great job with a successful ending.
    Larry

OK, so now what can you run off the wobbler engine? I know you've easily got lots more stuff to extend this and really increase the Rube Goldberg Coefficient....

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    OK, so now what can you run off the wobbler engine? I know you've easily got lots more stuff to extend this and really increase the Rube Goldberg Coefficient....
    No, it's the law of diminishing returns. I had to run the engine faster than I am comfortable with to get enough air out of the compressor to just barely run the wobbler. This was simply something I had to "Try and see" before I tear the set-up down from my office side table. I will be tearing it all down now and restoring all the components to their shelves to set for the next millennia.
    Brian Rupnow

A thing of beauty Brian!
    As usual.
    Cheers,
    Jon