Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Smithy 1340 Max

Default New Smithy 1340 Max

Long story short, I grew up in my father's machine shop. After he passed 2 years ago his widow promptly sold everything. Needless to say, I missed not being able to machine or make anything with dad's old machines. So my sweet bride got me a Smithy 1340 Max as a gift.
    I immediately saw the need for a stand alone bench that could be moved when necessary and leveled for machining. The bench is nearly finished, got a few more days to work and paint before mounting the Smithy.

I will post pictures as soon as this place will let me.

Congrats on a wonderful wife and a new Smithy! Some people just have it all! Welcome to the forums too!

Thank you so much, I am truly blessed. I'm excited to be here.

dang, that's a wife to keep! We like pics those large Smithys are pretty versatile and there a quite a few resources around the web to use them.

Speaking of wives, one of my wife's friends asked her why she let me spend $1000 on a mill - "keeps him happy" was her reply. It's funny to think how eccentric hobby machinists look to the general populace. I'm always amazed when I ride past houses and see how much junk they have stuffed in their garages, with the cars on the drive. Guess I'm just odd!

Quote Originally Posted by agleason View Post
    Long story short, I grew up in my father's machine shop. After he passed 2 years ago his widow promptly sold everything. Needless to say, I missed not being able to machine or make anything with dad's old machines. So my sweet bride got me a Smithy 1340 Max as a gift.
    I immediately saw the need for a stand alone bench that could be moved when necessary and leveled for machining. The bench is nearly finished, got a few more days to work and paint before mounting the Smithy.

I will post pictures as soon as this place will let me.
    Does your wife have a sister?
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    dang, that's a wife to keep! We like pics those large Smithys are pretty versatile and there a quite a few resources around the web to use them.

Speaking of wives, one of my wife's friends asked her why she let me spend $1000 on a mill - "keeps him happy" was her reply. It's funny to think how eccentric hobby machinists look to the general populace. I'm always amazed when I ride past houses and see how much junk they have stuffed in their garages, with the cars on the drive. Guess I'm just odd!
    Pictures are coming as soon as this site will let me upload something.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Does your wife have a sister?
    Yes she does, but my wife is one of a kind!

Quote Originally Posted by agleason View Post
    Yes she does, but my wife is one of a kind!
    Would you please ask your wife if she is happily married and then get back to me!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Pictures of the Smithy and the work bench that will become it's new home.

Last edited by agleason; 12-04-2017 at 03:10 PM.

I've used one of these before. The lathe is decent, the mill as with any 3in1 leaves a lot to be desired. Does this have a VFD or brushed controller?