Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Smithy 1340 Max

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    I've used one of these before. The lathe is decent, the mill as with any 3in1 leaves a lot to be desired. Does this have a VFD or brushed controller?
    This model has a brushless DC motor with a variable speed drive.

Quote Originally Posted by agleason View Post
    This model has a brushless DC motor with a variable speed drive.
    Its better than the one I used which had a brushed DC motor. I wonder how the torque is at low RPM's? The lathe is nice as it has a cam-lock spindle.

Welcome aboard!

None of the 3in1 machines has an ideal milling feature by any means. But if you work within the limits I'd say that's a fine looking bit of gear. I'm not normally a fan of 3in1's. Many of them seem set up to do everything poorly and nothing well. But this Smithy machine looks better than most from a quick few links I examined. One thing I noticed is that it appears to have the 8 multiplier setting for the basic threading or feed gearing that is manually changed. But still, that's pretty cool vs the three way version found on a lot of the cheaper import machines these days.

I'd say you've got the makings of a superb hobby machine for a smaller shop setup.

I'd likely suggest a separate drill press though. The maximum 13 3/8" spindle nose to table dimension will be eaten up rapidly by the drill chuck and drill press vise leaving not a lot of room for the work and a drill bit. I'm pretty sure you'll be driven to get a separate drill press pretty quickly.

But for home use as a lathe and mill I think you'll do just fine.

How much background in machining do you have? Or is this a rather new hobby for you?

I grew up, literally in a machine shop. My dad had a small shop in the basement till I was grown and a larger shop beside the house later. I've done a lot of general machining, but never considered myself a "machinist".

This Smithy will scratch my itch to machine metal like I'm accustomed too before dad passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Does your wife have a sister?
    I think I must have married her sister... My wife points out interesting things in the craig's list ads, and so forth, asking me "do you need one of these"? She found at least a couple of the machines I have.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Still working on the bench in the evenings. I'm using the crate the Smithy came in as much as possible!

Did it come with a chip tray? I ask because you NEED a chip tray for starters. And also because with a chip tray you could use a hole saw to cut out and allow for steel riser pads for the machine to rest on instead of the plywood. Myself and others have found that it's highly advantageous to have the machines sitting on something as solid as possible. Lighter bench lathes such as your Smithy and my own 12x36 still have enough flex in the bed that the stand becomes far more than just something to hold the machine off the floor. Done right it becomes part of the machine and extends the moment arms of support so the machine and base together become more rigid and lock the bed into alignment far better than the machine by itself.

For these same reasons I'm hoping that your casters are either retractable or that you have some sort of solid feet that will rest on your floor.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Did it come with a chip tray? I ask because you NEED a chip tray for starters. And also because with a chip tray you could use a hole saw to cut out and allow for steel riser pads for the machine to rest on instead of the plywood. Myself and others have found that it's highly advantageous to have the machines sitting on something as solid as possible. Lighter bench lathes such as your Smithy and my own 12x36 still have enough flex in the bed that the stand becomes far more than just something to hold the machine off the floor. Done right it becomes part of the machine and extends the moment arms of support so the machine and base together become more rigid and lock the bed into alignment far better than the machine by itself.

For these same reasons I'm hoping that your casters are either retractable or that you have some sort of solid feet that will rest on your floor.
    Oh yes, the machine will be bolted to the steel frame of the table. The plywood is just a filler to close off the openings of the frame.

The Smithy came with a chip tray.

The casters are removable and the bench legs will soon have internal legs that will extend to raise or lower the bench after the casters are removed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sounds like a solid plan on all counts.

I'm a little OCD on this aspect after how much my own lathe improved with my concrete block base. It does things now without complaining that it could not do before when it was mounted on the factory supplied "sardine tin" bases it came with. I'd give you a link to my thread on how it was done but Photo Bucket let us all down and the thread is full of upgrade notices instead of my pictures. But suffice to say that anything you do to really anchor the machine down is a good thing. If you can't bolt it to the floor buy lots of heavy accessories to weigh down the base...