Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Spline cutting work offered for once-off job

Update -

Hello again -- long time.

I finally found a company to machine the splines -- branikmotorsports.com

I mailed them everything, and they did a fantastic job.

Then I sent then for heat treatment. Now D2 tool steel has a maximum fracture toughness at about 60 HRC.
    So I gave bodycote.com 60 HRC as the spec and I got them back, pic below.

Unfortunately the heat treatment has bent them very slightly. The longer one is 0.023" out on the dial. My calculation shows that at 100 mph I will get 2 lb of rotating force which would be a noticeable vibration.

How do I straighten it??? There are three ways I know:

1. Use V blocks and my shop press. I think the D2 at this hardness will fracture before it bends.
    2. Machine straight with Tungston-Carbide or CBN inserts. This could be time consuming.
    3. Use heat spots. This will upset the heat treatment in the middle. Not really a problem -- the neck is where the week point is and I won't be heating anywhere near it.

As for option 3 I am concerned it will take many many heat spots before I get it to move all the way. It is 1.2" diameter and solid, so this is not like a typical hollow bar straightening exercise. Thoughts?

I.e. will heat spots work and how much will each heat spot move a 30" bar????

Or should I rather try option 1 or 2??

Thanks for the help!

It will take a lot less heat than you think. But, you have to heat where the bends are, which could be in your narrow spot. Put it up on v blocks on the surface plate, and spend some time with the indicator. Then, experiment.

allan

Quote Originally Posted by kitno455 View Post
    It will take a lot less heat than you think. But, you have to heat where the bends are, which could be in your narrow spot. Put it up on v blocks on the surface plate, and spend some time with the indicator. Then, experiment.

allan

Thanks.

I think I will be heating at the high spot which is right near the half-way.

It actually does not have to be perfectly straight, rather, if it is roughly balanced that is good enough. So this saves me messing with the neck at all.

this is maybe a stupid question, but when would you be going 100mph in 4 wheel drive? as an aside, factory shafts aren't perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    this is maybe a stupid question, but when would you be going 100mph in 4 wheel drive?
    This is a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.2L V8 stroked to 359 ci and a bunch of mods.

The front CV axle shafts are always rotating.

I routinely hit 90 on the open road.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    as an aside, factory shafts aren't perfect.
    I need numbers on that statement :-)

.020" over 2 feet, I would personally just stick it in the press. But I take risks, they don't always pan out.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    .020" over 2 feet, I would personally just stick it in the press. But I take risks, they don't always pan out.
    Well, I want to do that.

But it is D2 Tool Steel at 60 HRC.

That is brittle stuff.

Will it bend AT ALL before it fractures?????

You should have had them induction harden the splines and leave the shaft around 45RC. Those things will probably break long before 100mph.

And I wouldn't heat the high side. That will cause expansion and worsen the bend. Might even crack the shaft. Use a press and work in small deflections. Even glass will bend.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    You should have had them induction harden the splines and leave the shaft around 45RC. Those things will probably break long before 100mph.

And I wouldn't heat the high side. That will cause expansion and worsen the bend. Might even crack the shaft. Use a press and work in small deflections. Even glass will bend.
    Why do u think it will break?