Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kinda OT, Huh? What? (hearing questions for you folks)

Does anyone else want to take a baseball bat to "soft speakers" ? Why is it that some people have a hard time talking louder than a whisper? Are they just dicks that just refuse to?

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Does anyone else want to take a baseball bat to "soft speakers" ? Why is it that some people have a hard time talking louder than a whisper? Are they just dicks that just refuse to?
    They might not even be conscious of it. I know I hear my internal voice loud and clear when I don't say something very loudly at all. There's also the possibility that you can't hear their voice very well because it's at a frequency where you have hearing loss. My mum has worked with a lot of people like that, and she found that it wasn't always necessary to talk louder, but just to lower the pitch of her voice.

And yes, they could be "just dicks."

About 4 years ago my wife went for one of those "free" hearing tests from "Miracle Ear" to get a $25 Walmart gift certificate. She passed, but while we were there, I also took the test and failed. I did some online checking on Miracle Ear and found that they were the worst of the worst. I have a friend who has had Siemans for many years and like them so I found a local Siemans dealer and went to him for another opinion. The first test was correct and so I ordered a set of Siemans "Pure" hearing aids. I love them! I have had them 4 years and they really make a difference. My hearing cuts off at about 3K hz and they really make a difference in what I can hear. things like the birds singing in the trees that I could not hear at all are as clear as can be. Women's voices are now understandable, machine noises that I did not hear before, and more.

This is a test that you can run to see what your loss migh be:

https://www.audionotch.com/app/tune/

I never had any problem adjusting to mine because they were fitted corectly to my ears and to my needs. Deal with a good audiologist and get good hearing aids and they will work for you. Get something cheap and it is a crap shoot as to whether or not they work. High pressure places like Miracle Ear will take your money and you will probably be disappointed! Like the tools that we use, but good and it works well, buy cheap and suffer with it.

Here is a little poll. How many of you have a bad left ear and how many a bad right?
    My left is worse and I kind of think it may be from years of driving with the window down.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-800miner View Post
    Here is a little poll. How many of you have a bad left ear and how many a bad right?
    My left is worse and I kind of think it may be from years of driving with the window down.
    Left ear is usually worse because shooting with long guns. I also had small dip on left ear (rifles) but the hand-mouth-foot virus took care of that...

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    I live alone (with my dog), in an individual house fairly far from neighbors, so having higher volume on electronic devices poses no problem or complaints.
    Might be why Muttley buries his head underground...

When in doubt, doubt your doubt.
    www.metalillness.com

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter View Post
    About 4 years ago my wife went for one of those "free" hearing tests from "Miracle Ear" to get a $25 Walmart gift certificate. She passed, but while we were there, I also took the test and failed. I did some online checking on Miracle Ear and found that they were the worst of the worst. I have a friend who has had Siemans for many years and like them so I found a local Siemans dealer and went to him for another opinion. The first test was correct and so I ordered a set of Siemans "Pure" hearing aids. I love them! I have had them 4 years and they really make a difference. My hearing cuts off at about 3K hz and they really make a difference in what I can hear. things like the birds singing in the trees that I could not hear at all are as clear as can be. Women's voices are now understandable, machine noises that I did not hear before, and more.

This is a test that you can run to see what your loss migh be:

https://www.audionotch.com/app/tune/

I never had any problem adjusting to mine because they were fitted corectly to my ears and to my needs. Deal with a good audiologist and get good hearing aids and they will work for you. Get something cheap and it is a crap shoot as to whether or not they work. High pressure places like Miracle Ear will take your money and you will probably be disappointed! Like the tools that we use, but good and it works well, buy cheap and suffer with it.
    Guess my hearing is ok, I can hear between 110hz and 15500 hz

"Guess my hearing is ok, I can hear between 110hz and 15500 hz"

Lucky you! With that wide range, I can only wonder at your age. Most of us older folk can't get anywhere near that.

Peter

I just turned 81. I've had Phonak hearing aids for about 10 years. Most folks who hear OK, cannot understand why just making it louder don't help....at all. I think that when the ability to hear high frequency sound is lost, it can NOT be returned. Only if lower frequency sound is blocked (very difficult, it seems), and high frequencies are amplified, will the ability to "hear" what is being said be improved. Louder low frequency ruins the concept if there is no or little low frequency loss. My loss is from industrial noise.

Roger

Hearing Joke:

A man goes to his doctor and complains about his wife's hearing. He wants to prove to her that she has lost most of her hearing.

The doctor suggests that he wait until she is cooking and stand 50 feet away and ask her what is for dinner. Then move forward 10 feet at a time until either she answers or you are standing right next to her.

The next evening she is in the kitchen preparing dinner. He asks from 50 feet away, "What's for dinner, dear" but she does not respond. He moves up ten feet several more times and asks the same question with no answer.

Finally, he is standing right next to her and asks her again. "Wat's for dinner dear?"

She turns and looks at him and says "Chicken! I've told you five times now! It's chicken!!!".