Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poshin' up a - track burner?

Default poshin' up a - track burner?

I recently acquired an old model Victor track burner. After some TLC it runs like a champ. In case you aren't into hot work with torches, a track burner is a motorized carriage (aka tractor) which goes in a straight line very precisely, often track-guided, at a precisely controlled and adjustable speed. It carries an oxy/acetylene torch with various rack/pinion arrangements so the torch can be directed exactly as needed. This machine is used for cutting plate steel. That all aside, modern CNC machines use 3 solenoid-driven valves to control the fuel gas, preheat oxygen and cutting oxygen separately. I want to implement that on my track burner, controlled by two toggle switches.

Switch 1 controls the valves for the fuel gas and preheat oxygen. So you turn it on and light and set your torch like normal. After that, you can turn S1 off and reposition the machine and then just flick S1 back on and light your torch.

Switch 2 controls 2 functions. It controls the valve for the cutting oxygen, and also switches power to the main motor. So when you're ready and your torch is lit and the metal has preheated enough, you throw one switch and presto - the machine starts moving at exactly the same time as the cutting oxygen turns on. As a safety feature, switch 2 is only activated when switch 1 is turned on. This one-touch control is said to be extremely handy in practice.

The manual for the old Victor machine shows the schematic for the solenoid gas block, and calls out part numbers. The parts for many of the numbers are now obsolete. I don't really know enough to choose solenoid valves.

Mostly, I'm posting to see if anyone else has been down this path, or if anyone has anything to suggest about which solenoid valves to buy. They have to be controlled by 125VAC, they have to withstand gas pressure (cutting oxygen can be as high as 60psi) and it would be most convenient to plumb them if they have 1/4" NPT ports. There are bazillions of such solenoids. Ack!

metalmagpie

Sounds cool.. I have a bunch of 24 volt valves left over from a failed project.. I'll get a part number and see if they might be OK for what you need. We were using air from a 100 PSI compressor so know they will hold the pressure and pretty sure they have 1/4 NTP fittings. If you can live with 24 volts and they will work I'll send you whatever you need just for the cost of shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by BobinOK View Post
    Sounds cool.. I have a bunch of 24 volt valves left over from a failed project.. I'll get a part number and see if they might be OK for what you need. We were using air from a 100 PSI compressor so know they will hold the pressure and pretty sure they have 1/4 NTP fittings. If you can live with 24 volts and they will work I'll send you whatever you need just for the cost of shipping.
    I appreciate the heck out of that but there really isn't room to convert from 125VAC to 24. Gonna have to pass.

metalmagpie

Make sure whatever you buy is rated for oxygen.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    I appreciate the heck out of that but there really isn't room to convert from 125VAC to 24. Gonna have to pass.

metalmagpie
    And I was gonna tell you about some 12v valves I ran across. Oh well.

Come to think of it, some of those valves have replaceable coils, so I might be able to swap in 125V coils. If you get near one of those valves, take a look at it and post the data, OK?

metalmagpie

Not sure where to look to see if these valves will work with gas but this is a link to the valve.
    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...)/AVS-3212-24D

I have a couple dozen of these things new in the box.

Not sure where to look to see if these valves will work with gas but this is a link to the valve.
    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...)/AVS-3212-24D

I have a couple dozen of these things new in the box.
    They do sell coils of all types for those valves. I'll look into it. Thanks, BobinOK!

metalmagpie

$10.00 in parts would convert 110 AC to 24 DC.

The Oxygen valve will be the sticking point,the gas valve can be any that's rated WOG.

You might plunder around on Victor's downloads page and look for the manual for a newer model and see if that part number works.

Oh,and make sure both valves are normally closed
    I just need one more tool,just one!