Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini-Lathe Improvements, A WIP Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    Perhaps it been mentioned already and I missed it but “You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear”.
    No. but you damn sure can sew up the hole in the sow's ear purse...... Which seems to be the deal here.

Good work and good save on the machine.

The angular contact ball bearings may not be "better than" the tapered roller, but they will have less rolling resistance, and are easier to adjust correctly for low deflection. The difference in carrying capacity is of absolutely no consequence in that machine.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Your free to pass your own judgment, but it's still a sow's ear, always was, and always will be. I'll credit him for his labor, but it's like spitting into the wind, never really works very well. No matter how hard you try. I'm all done for now, feel free.

Your free to pass your own judgment, but it's still a sow's ear, always was, and always will be. I'll credit him for his labor, but it's like spitting into the wind, never really works very well. No matter how hard you try. I'm all done for now, feel free.
    That's a point of view that has been, err, 'shared' repeatedly. My response has been the same throughout:

I'm not trying to make a silk purse. I have no intention of turning this thing into a Monarch. What I'm doing is making my tool work better inside my budget, and unless the condescending remarks are attached to a monetary contribution to buy a lovely hunk of american iron, well, spitting into the wind.

I'd say that my spitting into the wind improving this lathe stands a better chance of making something that works when compared to pointlessly attempting to tear people down because they can't afford what you can

Quote Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
    That's a point of view that has been, err, 'shared' repeatedly. My response has been the same throughout:

I'm not trying to make a silk purse. I have no intention of turning this thing into a Monarch. What I'm doing is making my tool work better inside my budget, and unless the condescending remarks are attached to a monetary contribution to buy a lovely hunk of american iron, well, spitting into the wind.

I'd say that my spitting into the wind improving this lathe stands a better chance of making something that works when compared to pointlessly attempting to tear people down because they can't afford what you can
    F'n A right on.

it's easier to destroy than create. Perhaps that is why a number choose that option.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

hmmmm....Last thread you commented on, you were chastising someone for being negative? I think Epic knows its not going to end up a Schaublin, but the fact is viewing a low cost machine as a set of castings and taking it from there you can for sure make it better, a lot better...AND he's doing this to learn and share what he's learning.

A frequent theme here is everyone saying they want more machining content here but when someone bothers to post machining conent they this sort of discouraging feedback. Guess why there aren't more threads about machining projects? The thread wasn't asking "should I do this or what is your opinion on me doing this", its "this is what I'm doing"

This happens all the time here. A machining thread gets hundreds of views but most of the comments are dumping on it or they just can't wait to tell you how you did it wrong and how they'd do it differently, whether help is asked for or not. This place would be better if instead of all that, those people put their energies into their own threads on what they are building and are up to.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 09-21-2018 at 04:57 PM.

It is also a skill that is acquired by actually DOING IT. I see nothing wrong with a person who has the time doing such work. It will greatly improve his skills.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    I think fixing or re-working equipment to perform better is a skill few people have and fewer are acquiring. I tend to rather spend money instead of fix/upgrade and I'll have nicer tools, but at the cost of being less of a machinist as I'm just exercising my wallet and not improving my machinist skills in the process. Time is probably the most scarce so that and interest level are usually the deciding factors for me.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Couldn't have said it better McGyver, nice work. That's also why I post less and less machining stuff. I even got told that I shouldn't post machining content in the "what did you do today" thread ffs.

Epic - nice work. You'll really like the ccgt inserts, especially on boring bars. The only flaw I've found is that the tips will bust off in steel if the cut stops suddenly (e.g. belt slip). Other than that they're great

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    Epic - nice work. You'll really like the ccgt inserts, especially on boring bars. The only flaw I've found is that the tips will bust off in steel if the cut stops suddenly (e.g. belt slip). Other than that they're great
    Already figured out theyre a bit delicate... Though, to be fair to the insert perhaps attempting to face off the little nub left by parting was asking a little much of it. Cant hardly fault it for that, even if i baby them on the depth of cut and the like, im still getting stuff done faster than with HSS, with a better finish to boot

Epic,
    When you are ready to get a real lathe I’ll be happy to take this one off your hands!

As I recently mentioned elsewhere, I started out with a Sears Craftman lathe made by "AA Products". Known to be nearly the worst "lathe shaped object" ever made.... But since nobody was around to tell me that I could not do stuff with it, that it was a POS that I ought to get rid of, I went ahead and made things with it.

Now, I DID eventually decide that it WAS a POS, etc, but at least I KNEW WHY I thought that. I had bought a Logan 10", and the difference between them was huge. Still, I used that machine and got the work done.

I expect that nearly any minilathe is a couple cuts above that "AA Products" machine, that there is nearly the same amount of difference between the AA and the minilathe as between the "AA" and the Logan.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan