Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini-Lathe Improvements, A WIP Thread

Agreed. Anyone who wants to sign on for duty aboard his research vessel should be encouraged to first watch his early videos. LOL

If I was in the market for a Mini-Lathe I would happily pay MORE than retail to get this one when he gets it done!

The spindle and ways are the heart of any machine tool. Get that right and you've got a usable machine. I had a 12 x 40 lathe bought new in 1995. The intention was to use it for a year or 2 until I could upgrade to something better. I spent the first 2 weeks reworking it, many of the same problems on all the Chinese imports. Ended up using it to earn a living on for 18 years. At the end of that time I sold it for more than I paid and it was still in better shape than when I got it new.

All this is to say that I think the rework in this thread will be entirely worthwhile and satisfactory at the end. There is also a certain pride of ownership in a machine that one has brought up to snuff, and much enjoyment to be had in using said machine. Soldier on, EF!

The bed ways are narrow, the cross slide ways are narrow, the tail stock will need to be rebored so it’s actually true. He can make everything perfect, and I applaud, and admire the skill required, but you aren’t going to fix the design problems.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    The bed ways are narrow, the cross slide ways are narrow, the tail stock will need to be rebored so it’s actually true. He can make everything perfect, and I applaud, and admire the skill required, but you aren’t going to fix the design problems.
    RB, you are polluting the thread with assertions that only apply to the one machine that you had. That's a disservice to people trying to learn from epicfail's work. My 3 HF lathes did not need work other than adjustments. That means that some of them work well without modifications. In my experience, if you can't do decent work with a 7x10, chances are you were still learning and did not adjust it or use it correctly.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Yet a 5 thou dip towards the chuck on an old American Lathe is acceptable.

Both are Lathe Shaped Objects, capable of holding tolerances based on the end user. Some can compensate and put out good work, and others can't.

It's a poor man who blames the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by adatesman View Post

The actual difference in turned size for normal size workpieces is TINY with that change in height. Calculate it sometime for a workpiece of 1" or 0.5", you may be shocked by the tiny change.

Now. if the wear is all on the front way, so it TILTS the carriage, you can get some interesting results, depending on the width of the ways vs the height of the cutter.

Or if you are working with 0.090 diameter parts, that can have a larger effect also.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Probably creates a perfect taper at the end of shafts for press-fitting bearings or hubs or whatever you want to press fit on the end
    Work hard play hard

Both are Lathe Shaped Objects, capable of holding tolerances based on the end user. Some can compensate and put out good work, and others can't.

It's a poor man who blames the tool.
    Says the person that probably has a really nice lathe...

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Says the person that probably has a really nice lathe...
    I have a tiny Sherline and a rather worn Clausing 5900. Neither fall into the "really nice" category, but both can put out good parts provided I do my part.