Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: OT West Dubuque High School Technology Club

Now THAT'S what I call a high school shop program!
    Absolutely outstanding!
    Bill
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Well, the final results are in: We placed third for fuel economy at Road America with 419MPG. The second place team had 439, and the first place team had 583MPG. Road America is a tough track that requires a good driver. With a 8.1 mile course (two laps) and a 60'+ wide track it's easy for the inexperienced driver to add an 1/8th of a mile to their run. This is evidenced by our 95lb driver topping out at 330MPG and our 170lb driver achieving the 419MPG mark. If I extropolate, I could drive the car and get 800MPG...

We also got awards for third place slalom course time and second place for overall design.

I have been traveling to Road America since I was three and have never been on the track. I volunteered to drive a suburban towing a trailer to pick up broken karts. Even at 30mph, RA is a blast! Interesting how the track is so different on the racecar side of the fence. I also got a neat video of our kart on the track.

https://www.facebook.com/gregory.gil...4683058793834/
    If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy

https://www.facebook.com/WDHSTechClub

Great, great thread. Makes me wish I was back in high school again, in your class. We had a really good tech shop teacher 1964 and 1965, but never built anything close to what you fellows have done.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Racing is fun, tech classroom not so much. Your sense of speed is multiplied when the seat is closer to the ground and the cockpit is open. I was clocked at 93mph in the Briggs Super Stock Kart class many years ago at the Mid-Ohio track. That was on the front straight. It felt like 293mph! That was the biggest rush of speed I've ever "felt" even though I've been faster in a car.

Just wonderful. Thank you for sharing this.
    BTW You have a better equipped school shop than I have at work.