Thread: Hobart handler 120... Not feeding wire.... now I broke it.

Default Hobart handler 120... Not feeding wire.... now I broke it.

Okay, I screwed up.
    A few weeks back, while welding the wire stopped feeding. Everything else worked. So I figured the wire feed pot may have failed.
    So tonight I opened up the side and tried to pull the connector off the pot, so I could check resistance. In pulling on the female spade the ceramic that holds the winding popped off.

So my questions are:

1) where can I get a replacement pot.
    2) was I even looking in the right place?

Most have a fuse or circuit breaker for the drive. Often the breaker can be reset under the wire spool cover near the top. I have also seen fuses inside the cover.
    Last edited by mf205i; 01-05-2018 at 12:13 AM.

I have a Hobart Handler 120 which i bought years ago (1993) after it sitting in the garage for years I decided to clean it up and see if it would work. when I finished it wouldn't feed the wire so I went back to the welding store where I bought it to see if they could work on it. They basically told me to buy a whole new welder. Well I am too much of a tightwad to do that so I turned to my friend YOUTUBE, after a little surfing I pressed the hidden reset button and it started to feed wire. Then I discovered the gas tank was empty so back to the welding store and now I was welding but it looked like crap, so back to YOUTUBE and discover that I needed an auto darkening helmet, back to the welding store after spending some money. What a difference!!!! I can actually see to get started and my welds are presentable.

Moral of the story try the little reset button to see if it something simple like an overheated motor.

Jack

Where might the reset button be?

Quote Originally Posted by mf205i View Post
    Most have a fuse or circuit breaker for the drive. Often the breaker can be reset under the wire spool cover near the top. I have also seen fuses inside the cover.
    Although I don't own a Hobart Handler 120 that pretty well coincides with the owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinguy View Post
    Where might the reset button be?
    Have a look in the manual, section 5, figure 2, maintenance and troubleshooting.

https://www.hobartwelders.com/om/6di...10088d_hob.pdf
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Should be able to get a new pot from Digikey or from your local welding shop. Pots are often marked with part number or the resistance.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Thank you for your help.
    I will get a new pot and try the reset button.
    Hopefully it will be working soon.