Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. Chili (cold weather comfort food)

Default O.T. Chili (cold weather comfort food)

As said in another thread, I was surprised to see how many of us bake. I suspect many more of us cook all manner of things. I, for one do the Lion's share of the cooking, I'm retired and MaMa is still working. Home shop types are creative people, so cooking fits right in. The climate here, near the Oregon Coast is pretty mild compared to many places where a lot of you live. Some of you have been frozen out of the shop, given the nasty weather I see on the Weather Channel.

What to do? Make a pot of the ultimate cold weather comfort food, Chili. I suspect that some will comment that the following isn't "real" chili. No matter. Make it however you deem real. However, if you are a naysayer, ya gotta post your favorite brew. Fair enough? So, here goes.

Throw a pound of red beans along with enough water to cover, plus 2-3", in the crock pot Let sit overnight.
    In the morning, drain the water, and add one can of Beef Broth. Start crockpot on Hi.

Brown up about 2 pounds of beef. I like to get a marked down chuck roast near pull date, but hamburger will do. I chop the meat into about 1/2" cubes. Add 1 tsp salt per pound of meat. Add to pot.

Chop 1 medium onion, and one bell pepper. Add some oil to pan you browned the meat in, if needed. cook the onions and pepper until the onions are translucent, or slightly browned. Add some crushed garlic, and cook a minute more. Add 1 jar of your favorite salsa. Bring to simmer, make sure all the brown bits stuck to the pan get mixed into the rest. If you really like tomatoes, chop up one or two and add. Or, a can of diced. Into the pot it goes.

Now for the spices. I like a tsp of cumin, maybe a little more. I never use chili powder, I like to add a couple teaspoons of chipotles in adobo sauce. Then a nice tbs of hot horseradish.

Change the crock pot to low heat, and let it go for about 4 hrs. Give it a stir, and taste. If you can't smell the cumin, add a little more. You can add all the heat you want with more chiles, horseradish, or cayenne pepper. It will depend on how spicy your salsa was, and how hot you can stand it.

If it looks a little dry anytime along the way, give it a glug or two of beer, whatever kind turns your knob.

Plan on cooking it another 4 hours, you can tweak it along the way as needed. It's at least as good or better the second day, and it freezes well. I've never made it exactly the same twice, depends on what is in the fridge that needs to go. I've put in celery, olives, even a fistful of fresh spinach once. If you're a purist, leave out the oddball stuff. If you have any bacon left over, throw that in, too.

Just finished the second bowl, it was really good. BURP

I LOVE this Chili on my hot dogs with some melted sharp cheddar on top. I'll put ~2 jumbo hot dogs into a sub-roll sized bun, ~1/2 cup of Hormel Chili, and ~1-2oz of cheddar in the toaster oven on the toast setting. Melts the cheddar, warms up the chili, and crisps up the bun just perfectly. That's what I'm going to make for lunch tomorrow. I'll take a picture and post it here tomorrow around lunchtime.... Can't wait!!!

Work hard play hard

Here's my Chili recipe.

Ingredients:
    0.6 kg or there abouts of lean hamburger, thoroughly browned.
    1 14 fl oz can of brown beans.
    1 19 fl oz can of dark red kidney beans.
    1 10 fl oz can of mushrooms. (Optional. I like whole ones "just because".)
    1 410 ml jar of President's Choice Chili starter sauce.
    1 small onion, diced.
    1 green pepper, diced.
    1 35 g packet of Chili seasoning mix, either regular or hot. (I use the regular stuff, Club House brand).

1/4 cup or there abouts of regular barbecue sauce.
    1/4 cup or there abouts of ketchup.

When the hamburger is thoroughly browned (the sizzle changes) turn down heat, add everything and mix. Continue cooking at very low heat, just enough to simmer, for half an hour stirring occasionally to prevent any burning on the bottom. I like to prepare it and then leave it sit in the pan in the fridge for a day just to age, it seems to help the seasoning permeate throughout the chili but it can be eaten right away.

My version, for a gallon or two:

A couple pounds of beef, cut into various size cubes (from 1" down to finely chopped), browned

A couple onions, chopped and sautéed until translucent

A bagful of poblanos, chopped and sautéed

Big can of diced tomatoes

A can or three of chipotles in adobo, chopped

A can or three of black beans, rinsed.

A square or three of dark baker's chocolate

A cup or two of ground chilis (variety depending on my mood, often Anaheim or chipotle but sometimes something oddball like Pasilla Negro)

Maybe a cup each of ground cumin and coriander

Something like a quarter cup of black pepper and oregano

Salt to taste

A heathy dose of Cholulla hot sauce

Cook the beef, onions, peppers then combine everything and bring it all to a boil for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a slow cooker on medium (a low simmer) for 24 hours (so the meat is falling apart tender).

Freezes well, hence making a lot of it.
    Last edited by adatesman; 01-04-2018 at 10:56 PM.

My two signature dishes are Asian. My own twist of the Philadelphia Sushi Roll, and Thai Green Curry.
    I love Chili, but can’t say I ever made my own...Going to have to fix that.

Everybody has different comfort foods. One of ours is that old Swedish favorite of rice and refried bean burritos. With pickled chilis, of course.

Macaroni and cheese, with salsa verde is good too.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Decent chili does NOT have beans in it, they are just cheap filler that dilutes the flavor.

I agree real chili has no beans but try brown sugar & you won't get heartburn & it adds a great extra flavor.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." George Patton
    "I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves".
    Ronald Reagan

My "signature" dish is pork and sauerkraut. I got 3 pounds of country style pork ribs, cut away the bones and excess fat, and put the pieces in the crockpot with a large can (or two) of sauerkraut. Then I added chunks of potatoes and carrots, and some Worcestershire sauce, wine, and honey. Sometimes I use barbecue sauce, molasses, or maple syrup, and maybe some peppers and onions. I let it cook overnight, stir it up, maybe add some stuff to taste, and continue cooking for a total of 12-24 hours.

I have also made chili, but usually with hot (or sweet) Italian sausage, and often with a variety of beans. Tomatoes, assorted peppers, onions, garlic, horseradish, carrots, and celery are possibilities. I might use barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, beer, wine, or liquor (rum, brandy, etc.)

Pea soup with ham is another good cold weather comfort food, or use Lima beans instead of peas.

For a quick and easy dish I augment Ramen noodles with carrots, peppers, broccoli, etc.

I also like to use a base of barley and bullion, and add onions, carrots, cabbage, peppers, etc.

For St Patrick's Day I make corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot, also adding potatoes, onions, and carrots. Maybe also a swig of Guinness and/or Jameson, but more in me than the crock pot!

When working in the shop my comfort food is some beef jerky with a piece of swarf stuck to it.