Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Never borrow tools!

Default Never borrow tools!

I borrowed an adjustable reamer from a friend and now one of the blades seems to be stuck! Of course I could put a big handle on the end and force it free but there must be a reason for it to jam.

I will take it back to the owner today (if he is home) and give him the news.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    I borrowed an adjustable reamer from a friend and now one of the blades seems to be stuck! Of course I could put a big handle on the end and force it free but there must be a reason for it to jam.

Who needs enemies with friends like you that return busted up tools Keep it and buy him a brand new reamer.
    Work hard play hard

The adjusting nuts weren't tight. If you can get to the starting end nut, tighten it while holding the shaft square. If not, loosen the big end nut (while holding the shaft) then lightly tap on shaft. LIGHTLY! That should free up the blades.

Clumsy Bastard!

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Who needs enemas with friends like you that return busted up tools Keep it and buy him a brand new reamer.
    There - fixed it for you...

Quote Originally Posted by The Artful Bodger View Post

Soak the bugger in kerosene, do what CCWKen says and it ought to loosen up. Yer cannot return tools worse than you got them.....

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Default Never borrow tools!

Right. And vice versa. I live in a neighborhood where NO one has tools. Started feeling like the tool rental shop here.

This is at the entrance to my garage... JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Soak the bugger in kerosene, do what CCWKen says and it ought to loosen up. Yer cannot return tools worse than you got them.....
    You can actually but only once..

I usually never borrow or even lend tools but in this case when I asked for advice on my project he offered the reamer to me but that does not make me feel any better about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    The adjusting nuts weren't tight. If you can get to the starting end nut, tighten it while holding the shaft square. If not, loosen the big end nut (while holding the shaft) then lightly tap on shaft. LIGHTLY! That should free up the blades.
    Thanks! That did the trick! I guess we will still be friends!

Clumsy Bastard!
    I do believe Sir John (RIP) created that phrase especially for me!

I leant all my tools to the local drug users, they haven't returned any yet, not even broken, if it wasn't true it might be a joke.
    I have a few friends left (tempus fugit) I do lend to, I know that if it's broken it gets replaced, you do get a few who you can trust, but it sure is hard to sort the genuine guys from the asshats.
    There was a time that you left your box open in work, not even the dust would move, not so anymore, a tool to most youngsters is somthing to be used like it's actually unimportant, it has no inherent value to them, as if the disposable world extends to all things, so keeping them out of the retards hands is the way to go, they won't look after them, maybe they can't look after them, it's not in thier psychology.
    You have 2 choices I suppose fix it or replace it.
    If the blade is stuck somthing is jamming it so strip it clean it stone any burrs off should be good to go, can't imagine anything else to go Amis myself
    Failure results in buying a new one, expensive but a good lesson, like gambling, don't bet what you can't afford to loose, and don't borrow what you can't afford to replace, and it's still cheaper to replace the thing than loose someone kind enough to trust you
    Mark