Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grease and grease guns.

Default Grease and grease guns.

Not off topic, my pillow blocks that support the line shafts are zerks

More to the point of how many guns? I hate mixing one grease to another in a gun. And then again I dont want a sea of grease guns.

I think I have narrowed mine down to three (maybe a fourth)

I have the machine shop and the car shop to grease. My Dad asked to borrow a gun for his f350 5th wheel. That rig uses two and my car uses one and the machine shop uses two.

My car uses the same white marine lith that I gave my Dad thats why four.

I forgot to send him home with an extra tube and thought he might load up some random red grease he likes. Turns out there was enogh grease.

He like my guns cause they have a pistol grip and a solid and flex hose. Easy to get to the tight spots.

Just a story Dont mix yer grease JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

kinda collected them from garage sales and such - found a really high quality one - built to the gills and super precision and took note of the massive size piston and just figured they had it all figured out with leverage ratio's from the handle --- turns out it was about useless for standard applications - very high volume low pressure

must be used for something that does not have much restriction , still the same zerk type fitting though...

My first bridgeport had zerk fittings. I remember it was a PITA to find a grease gun that could hold Vactra #2(?) way oil without leaking and generate enough pressure to grease all of the zerks. I made sure my next milling machine had a Bijur one-shot oiler.
    Work hard play hard

I never liked the idea of mixing different greases either, but in the end ...... for bearings such as your pillow block bearings, it aint going to make any difference.

I say this because I'm thinking back to my 1964 Simplicity lawn tractor and all it's bearings that I have greased over the centuries. I can't think of how many types and colors of grease have been pumped into some of those bearings over the years and they are still good.

I have in recent years tried to consolidate my grease selection. The problem is when your gun is empty you go out and buy another tube, when that one is empty you go out and buy another one, usually a different brand, formula etc. So a few years ago I bought a case of I forgot the number but it's some red Mobile grease, that case should last me quite a while.

I do have some other types of grease like EMB for motor bearing etc. but I just pack those bearing by hand so the tubes are not in guns.

JL............

I always have a 'crap grease' gun or jar going. Grease that for whatever reason I don't care for but is good enough for bottom of the barrel use. Same for oil.. and tools for that matter.. anything that is subpar for normal use gets a bit of red paint on it indicating it shouldn't be used for fine work, but it can be used in any ham fisted clumsy bastard way possible.
    Amazing how long the stuff you don't like lasts.

THEY ARE LAUGHING AT US.It is my opinion that ,the guys that work at oil,grease and paint packaging plants are all laughing at us.Every year for the last 50 years they come out with no wear oil that works in the tropics or the arctic ,universal grease and one coat paint. "ANY OIL OR GREASE OR PAINT IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.Edwin Dirnbeck

Some hill-jack pumped moly and some green grease into all the fittings on my BP mill before I bought it. What a dirty mess. I guess they ran it that way. Took me a while but got it all cleaned out and installed a few new zerks. I have five lever style grease guns for cars and tractors. I converted one for way oil. Works great and a lot less work and cash than installing a Bijur setup. I should have installed a one-shot when I had the mill apart but couldn't wait to get it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
    THEY ARE LAUGHING AT US.It is my opinion that ,the guys that work at oil,grease and paint packaging plants are all laughing at us.Every year for the last 50 years they come out with no wear oil that works in the tropics or the arctic ,universal grease and one coat paint. "ANY OIL OR GREASE OR PAINT IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.Edwin Dirnbeck
    What they are REALLY laughing at is us trying to use the POS grease guns that are available. At least as much grease goes on the user as in the bearing with some of those things.

If the different "base" greases were easily distinguishable, that would help with avoiding undesirable mixing. Most all greases of the same "base soap" are compatible enough to mix, as far as I know. Mixing different bases can cause problems as I understand it, although it is not as if they will "curdle" into rocks if mixed.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

The usual outcome of mixing grease types that are incompatible is that the grease mixture either goes hard thereby not releasing the oil as intended or the mixture get very soft releasing all of the oil very fast. In both cases the end result is that very little to no lubricating action is taking place.
    It's interesting to note for example that while conventional polyurea greases are one of the most incompatible greases, yet shear stable polyurea is just about compatible with everything.

You can't tell the players without a score card.
    Lots of grease compatibility charts out there so if in doubt look it up.
    Last edited by Willy; 01-11-2018 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Damn spell check! LOL
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    kinda collected them from garage sales and such - found a really high quality one - built to the gills and super precision and took note of the massive size piston and just figured they had it all figured out with leverage ratio's from the handle --- turns out it was about useless for standard applications - very high volume low pressure

must be used for something that does not have much restriction , still the same zerk type fitting though...
    Yup, I bought a "bucket of grease guns" at a sale. In that bucket was an amazingly well built green colored grease gun. I couldn't wait to try it. Works only for loose parts where high volume and low force work. Anything remotely tight gets one of the others.

I gave up with the different grease thing years ago. Everybody gets the same grease, U joints, tractors, trucks, pillow blocks, etc.

Having 3 grease guns has made me realize some efficiency as they all get empty at the same time () so I have "replace the grease tubes time" and do them all at once.