Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Ignorance Knows No Bounds

Quote Originally Posted by AD5MB View Post
    I marvel at journalists who use the phrase "one of the only..." - how many items make up an only?
    The other commonly misused term is "Unique". The word means there is only one of whatever.
    ...lew...

Quote Originally Posted by redgrouse View Post
    ]

Now I'll duck below the parapet !!!
    No need to duck. You are not the only Englishman here. And some of the others are learning due to an interest in Anvils of all things, which are often marked in (old) imperial weights.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

As far as school buses go according to the insurance co here they're the most dangerous vehicles on the road. I was buying one from Indiana where the drivers own the buses & found one with a 5.9 12 valve Cummins which I love. Wanted to fix it into a Motor Home just to go to Osh Kosh Air Venture 1 week a year. The cheapest was over $1800 a year with no collision or even comp & when I ask I was told they were the most dangerous vehicles on the road & tolled over all the time. May'd me wonder if we hate our school kids
    The thing is, the dog nosed buses with the frame over the wheels roll over. dog nosed buses with the frame over the wheels are designed for rural roads and low speeds. The square front engine in back diesel pusher Blue Birds and Thomases do not. These are designed to transport teams and bands to sporting events on paved roads. You can not get insurance for a school bus converted to a motorhome, even if you start with a square front engine in back diesel pusher Blue Birds or Thomas. If you see a school bus motorhome conversion, the owner lied to the insurance company to get coverage, which is null and void when the insurance company exposes the lie.

One of my favorite misused mechanical related terms is "blow torch". Any welding or cutting torch is a blow torch in a reporter vocabulary. I always thought that blow torches were gasoline fired torches that you pumped up and a fire in the little tray under the burner heated up the burner to get it to vaporize the liquid gas so that it would burn in a forceful "blowing" flame.
    CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter View Post
    ....... I always thought that blow torches were gasoline fired torches that you pumped up and a fire in the little tray under the burner heated up the burner to get it to vaporize the liquid gas so that it would burn in a forceful "blowing" flame.
    CPeter
    They are..... But the term has expanded, as have so many others.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    >The cubic ton... seems to be still in use in the United States.

Not usually. Maybe in shipping timber.

I suspect the narrator meant to say "metric tons".
    Last edited by tmarks11; 01-13-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    >The cubic ton... seems to be still in use in the United States.

Not usually. Maybe in shipping timber.

I suspect the narrator meant to say "metric tons".
    Well, "building materials to arctic regions is pretty close to shipping timber. Depending on who (which trade) supplied the numbers, cubic tons may be the accurate unit.

At this point, I'm siding with the news report and suggesting the OP look at where his fingers point.

Helium and idiocy, Never a shortage...

Here's one that stuck in my craw. An article describing NASA's Parker solar probe: "It is expected to operate for seven years orbiting the hottest star in the solar system."
    It's also the coldest star in the solar system, as well as the largest, smallest, or what ever descriptive adjective used. It's the only star. Sheesh.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wor...New-York-video

Quote Originally Posted by AD5MB View Post
    The thing is, the dog nosed buses with the frame over the wheels roll over. dog nosed buses with the frame over the wheels are designed for rural roads and low speeds. The square front engine in back diesel pusher Blue Birds and Thomases do not. These are designed to transport teams and bands to sporting events on paved roads. You can not get insurance for a school bus converted to a motorhome, even if you start with a square front engine in back diesel pusher Blue Birds or Thomas. If you see a school bus motorhome conversion, the owner lied to the insurance company to get coverage, which is null and void when the insurance company exposes the lie.
    In Michigan home of high prices no fault you have to have a bathroom & sleeping area to change to a Motor Home but that doesn't change the high insurance costs or the rear engine pusher diesel which I like.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." George Patton
    "I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves".
    Ronald Reagan